Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Stack #13: Tokes My Goats

We've arrived at the lovely weekend again Zoners, so it's time to Stack it up once more with me and my ragtag team of Magic writers and enthusiasts.

Today it's all about the wonderful world of tokens.

One of the unique facets of the EDH table is that you can rock pimp nonsense tokens like this obligatory South Park character.

I really like this part of Commander, and so we've got a lot of neat other tokens to share with you from across the interwebz from more prominent Magic Community members like Inkwell Looter, to people who just like to turn various cards into Bear tokens.


Anyway, let's get started.


GRANDPA GROWTH'S PICK



Grandpa Growth- THUMBS UP
These tokens are by Inkwell Looter. He makes funny posts on his blog and tumblr, usually featuring tongue-in-cheek humor and cool little pictures. Occasionally he will put his art into pdf format so you can print them out in the correct size! Like this set of 13 individual zombie tokens for Army of the Damned. Sweet.  Definitely check his stuff out. Honorable Mention: Jace the Bear Sculptor:

 Venser's Journalist- THUMBS UP
Making 13 individual zombie tokens takes a lot of time and effort, and Inkwell Looter, I'm glad you can put that much time and effort into making custom Army of the Damned tokens. Would have liked to have seen more Deadite-looking artwork, however.

Uncle Landdrops- THIRTEEN THUMBS UP
Inkwell comes up with awesome stuff. I've actually made a majority of the things that he's posted, of which my favorite is probably the drunk Faerie token he made for Bitterblossom.

Aside from the Zombies, one of the other cool things about his other tokens is that they can almost be multi-functional. Cause the 0/1 Plants could be Saprolings, and the Eldrazi Spawn could be Germs. So seriously, print them and play with them. You won't be sorry.

 Johnny Confidant- THUMBS UP
I love that Jace-bear. almost as much as I love the Hamster of the Fells. This guy has some cool artwork.

UNCLE LANDDROPS' PICK

Uncle Landdrops-  THUMBS UP
Because I believed LSV can actually do anything, he did. These Channel Fireball tokens are the easiest to use, and they're a lot of fun because I find looking at traditional Magic tokens to be pretty boring. I'd rather play games with real people. Because of the nature of my decks, LSV ends mostly being a 3/3 Beast or Frog Lizard, I've found.

Johnny Confidant- THUMBS NEUTRAL
Unfortunately I don't know of CFB or LSV. Probably because I haven't really followed a pro tour. Still, using a pro tour player as a token seems good.

Grandpa Growth- THUMBS UP
CFB is sweet. LSV is one of my favorite players to watch/listen to. He is a consummate pro, probably a nice guy, and a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame. He totally deserves a token. You know who did the art for this? Inkwell Looter. Like a champ. 

Venser's Journalist- THUMBS UP(?)
Wouldn't summoning a professional MTG player technically count as a Planeswalker?

JOHNNY CONFIDANT'S PICK
Johnny Confidant- THUMBS UP
I like this little guy, I don't have a card that makes him but he's on the inside of my jewel case. I kind of want to derp him out and put googly eyes on him.

Uncle Landdrops- SQUIRREL HIGH-FIVE
While I wish they'd filled this one out a little more, this guy looks pretty desperate for some gratitude. I'll bite.


Grandpa Growth- THUMBS UP
This squirrel is pretty ridiculous.  He looks like a Rafiki style animal shaman guy thing. He is communing with his super sweet squirrel gods. GatheringMagic.com is also sweet for spoilers and such. Like this token, they are also brought to you by coolstuffinc.

Venser's Journalist- THUMBS UP
There aren't enough cards in the world that make squirrel tokens, and one day, squirrel decks should be more overpowered than elf decks, only much less annoying and something that I can actually appreciate playing.


VENSER'S JOURNALIST'S PICK

Venser's Journalist- THUMBS UP
I've been quite puzzled by the distinct lack of unicorn creatures in MTG, and I figured that there should be another version of Storm Herd for unicorns, or an equine version of Bestial Menace that puts out a 1/1 Unicorn with Vigilance, a 1/1 Pegasus with Flying, and a 2/2 Horse on the battlefield. Make it a 3W sorcery called "Crusaders Assemble."

Johnny Confidant- THUMBS (I Have Them)
I could see another Un-set making unicorns and the "My Little Pony" creatures are something I've seen in play before.

Uncle Landdrops- THUMBS INDIFFERENT
I wouldn't play this, but any time we can put Lisa Frank-level girl nonsense on the table, I'm down. I like jokes.


Grandpa Growth- THUMBS DOWN
Unicorns are silly. My little pony is doubly silly. I share Hircine's stance on unicorns: Kill on sight.

BUT WAIT- THERE'S MORE!!!

Wild Pokemon Tokens Appeared!




These Star Wars tokens will help you shoot first, Tokie-Wan Kenobi.

 

































Some iconic badasses.


 




































AND MOAR BEARS!!! NO ONE EXPECTS THE SECOND (and 3rd and 4th and so on) BEAR! ALL BEAR EVERYTHING!!!


And of course, G.O.B. (pronounced 'Jobe') Because I'm not gonna get much further in my life without an Arrested Development reference. 

Well, that's all I got for today.


Till then...If you find yourself in trouble...

 









                                 Also: Beware of the Bear-pocalypse.
                                                                      -UL

No comments:

Post a Comment