Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Better Know A Commander #1: Glissa, the Traitor

Well, we've reached the Ruby-est day of the week, and so your pal Landdrops is here once again.

We've got a new series today. Like the ever popular Stephen Colbert segment, "Better Know A District," we're going go in-depth about Legendary Creatures, talking theory mostly, but also squeezing in some special niche tech that they might like.

Our first is my favorite Dollar General Commander, Glissa, the Traitor aka "Glissa T's."


HOW GOOD IS GLISSA?

Glissa T's is one of the best Commanders I've played with for many reasons.

The first is that she makes the game hard to navigate for your opponent. Combined, first strike and deathtouch really do appear "threatening" to an opponent, and it will surely deter a whole lot of combat.

However, it really isn't Glissa as much as it is the cards in your hand and graveyard that make her more terrifying. Being able to recur a lowly Wayfarer's Bauble doesn't seem like much, but in the context of the game, these things really add up. Combine it with the fact that there's already incentive to remove your opponent's creatures, and to quote Carl Weathers, "You've got a stew going!"

Now, I'm not sure what the right answer is when assessing threats on Glissa's board state, but I can tell you killing her, countering her, tucking her, or even bouncing her won't do the trick.

I know because I've tried all these things against GG's Glissa T's iteration, and basically, you're just casting one-ofs against stuff that's constantly getting re-casted.

Basically, it's just delaying the inevitable, and you're not actually going to stop Glissa from coming back for good, because casting her for 5 and 7 is still a lot of value-adding.

Overall, Glissa is a special breed of creature that your opponent can really be too happy or too upset about seeing on the battlefield, because when she's your Commander, there's always something they can do, but it's really only going to hurt them in the long run of the game.

SO HOW DOES SOMEONE BEAT A GLISSA DECK?

In my mind, there are four decent strategies:

1. Play Tempo
The best strategy is to out tempo the Glissa player. Use your cards when the timing is right versus responding immediately to a threat that may or may not be relevant. Split second cards like Krosan Grip and Sudden Spoiling are just as good against Glissa as they are in a Glissa deck. Haste is more optimal than protecting dudes, but both are good. So bring your greaves and make the game quick.

2. The Card Advantage Race
Trying to out card advantage Glissa can be pretty good. This is the kind of thing that a mono-blue deck would have to do because it's an even slower deck than Glissa, but it'd work pretty well, I think. Having a lot of answers and a few threats would be pretty key.

3. Constant Graveyard Hate
Ground Seal, Leyline of the Void, Rest In Peace, Relic of Progenitus- Pick what you want to play. There are tons of options. I know most people don't like playing stuff that might ruin their own graveyard abuse, so build around it. Practice around it.

Honestly, it doesn't even have to be as "constant" as I'm saying. Decks that hold up mana and can leverage singleton instants like Cremate or Suffer the Past well can definitely benefit from blanking Glissa's removal triggers.

4. Attrition to Combo
This is kind of like Tempo, but you're probably going infinite as a conclusion, so it doesn't matter if Glissa gets a few trinkets. It's a little more risky though, because you're trying to assemble combos. However, decks with tokens to lose like Oona, Endrek Sahr, Trostani, Darien- they can probably get you where you're going, cause they force Glissa Wraths.

Lavinia and Nin can shut Glissa down too, and they come in "Counterspell Blue."

WHAT ARE SOME GOOD CARDS TO PUT IN A GLISSA DECK?

Playing this in Dollar General means I've looked at a lot of relatively cheap nonsense. After all, we all know how good it is to have Swords that don't die, and Oblivion Stones whenever we want. So here's a short list of things I like in my Dollar General version.

ARTIFACTS

Razormane Masticore: Unlike the other Masticores, this guy's got a constant three-damage trigger on my draw step and a very relevant ability of first strike. If I can't afford to keep him, or I don't want to, he dies. When my opponent has dudes and I have artifacts though, I rarely lose what I'm pitching to keep him alive. So he's pretty good.

Bullwhip: This card is the butt of a few old CommanderCast jokes, and with good reason. It's pretty bad most of the time. HOWEVER, being able to force people to battle into Glissa T's is awesome, and when it's not doing that, my whip can kill tokens becoming my second Staff of Nin. Beware also when Vhati il-Dal comes out. It's actually been very good.

Sigil of Distinction: I realized pumping Glissa was pretty good when I won with Cranial Plating, so I said, "Why Not?" and threw the Sigil in haphazard, not expecting much. So far, it hasn't disappointed. I can make it as big as I want, which is quite sizable when I can play Krark-Clan Ironworks, cast it for 0, and remove dudes to net mana. Still not Cranial Plating, but I'm okay with that. Having pumps that scale to the game isn't the worst either.

Executioner's Capsule: Glissa T's most coveted "Egg." It's really an ugly little combo, I know. I just don't see any reason not to play it.

BLACK

Smallpox: When you out ramp people, especially with mana rocks, this card is insane value. I can't wait to play it in multiplayer. I'd been considering Innocent Blood for a few days, but I like this a lot better. All I gotta say is, "Get up, c'mon, get down with the sickness."

Snuff Out: I've been on a kick recently, trying to play relevant spells I can cast for free. It's a serious tempo changer, and it makes people think twice about what it means to be tapped out. I love it.

Sudden Spoiling: This card seriously changes combat, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. With Glissa, this is more than just a Fog. I can actually take out untargetable, indestructible guys and reap the rewards. It's one of the best cards in the deck.

GREEN

Glissa Sunseeker: Glissa 1, aka Sunny G, was more of a metagame choice. I'd been trying to get more removal packed into this deck, cause my 1-for-1's just weren't cutting it. After playing her in a couple games, I realized he's pretty great though. She's another outlet to blow up my Wellsprings, so I can even maximize value on my side of the board if need be.

Ulvenwald Tracker: I'd wanted a Guul Draz Assassin, but it wasn't worth the cap space in Dollar General. The next week Johnny Confidant reminded me I had this guy from my old Chorus EDH deck. Results have been mixed, but it's still a nice setup with Glissa. Very rattlesnake-ish. I'm also playing Prey Upon cause it's nice and cheap too.

LAND

Forbidden Orchard: It isn't really a secret that you can go infinite with this, Glissa T's, and Mindslaver, but it's still tech. Good players will try to not play dudes into Glissa if they have a feeling you don't have removal, so instead, I give them a guy I can kill. And I don't play Mindslaver, so people aren't too upset when it comes out.

Rogue's Passage: This is perhaps the biggest mistake WotC made. I've been abusing this card since it came out last fall, and I'm shocked I don't see it more in games. There's a point in most games where people stop taking Glissa damage, and it affords me the flexibility to decide whether I want them to take it or not. It's incredible.

Anyway, here's my whole list if you want to see it.

Green Eggs and Glissa

Also, if you want me to comment or help you with decks, you're welcome to friend me on TappedOut. I go by UncleLanddrops there (all one word).

You're also welcome to comment on my stuff too. There's a lot that I consider with my decks, but I'm happy to consider and re-consider. That's the process.


Till then, remember your training, don't buy that Magikarp, and I'll hopefully see you on Victory Road.


-UL






























No comments:

Post a Comment