Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Spin It Into Myth #3- Results, and New Commanders

I've logged a lot of EDH miles since the last Spin article, so it's time to share some new tech and today feels like a good day to talk about it.

Anyway, let's get old business out of the way first...


The results are in, and thank god I'm not the father. Cause it has nothing to do with Paternity, which is good.

THE RESULTS- Old Cards

Reality Acid- No Bueno.
I didn't like this very much in Chisei. It was a dead draw for me in a few games. Since I've been asked about this card, and I just can't recommend it for really any deck. It's just a little too slow.

Magnetic Theft- Ended up taking this card out of my red decks really quick.
Not enough of a tempo changer. Also drew it when I would've rather had a land or something else.

Wicked Akuba- Really like this card, but outside of Spirit tribal- not worth your time. Hilarious and awesome to slam early in Mono-Black.

Cathars' Crusade- Play this card whenever you can.
Works the best with token spells like Increasing Devotion. One of the coolest enchantments out there.

Mindstorm Crown- Playing it Darien, but not so high on it.
I've yet to draw cards from it, mostly because Darien operates that way in the late.

Thespian's Stage- Play this card.
I love it. If you haven't got one, get a copy. They're dirt cheap right now.

Ritual of the Machine- I cut this card pretty quickly out of the failed Infernal Kirin deck. Going to try it again fairly soon in some upcoming projects.

Sakura-Tribe Scout- I Love this card.
If you play it, Fiona will Love you too. Play it in decks where you thought you wanted mana rocks.


NEW STUFF

This Spin installment actually has a little bit of a twist. We're going to talk about a few new Commanders I'm gonna be trying out too.

I'm going octopedal. The empress of the Cephalids may look like too specific of a metagame choice, but I promise you it's worth it.

I've begun to develop my own list for her based on a rather inspiring iteration I found on TappedOut, which uses the strange and almost unplayable cards like Glamerdye to change the colors on it while she's on the stack and impose on other colors while in play. Hint: She's also really good at messing around with Swords that can change their colors too.

Also, we have a "Creatures of the Ocean," theme, which basically means I'll be playing a bunch of hilariously bad creatures that might get me there, if all goes according to plan.

My current mono-Green deck is something I'm calling "Hipster Voltron," because it's housing a lot of cheap obscure equipments and a Jitte.

I've been wanting to make a deck around him for no particular reason other than the fact that I like this card.

So my current list has just a bunch of junk that I'd never actually played. It's kinda like a Pauper deck, but with the purest jank I could find. And a Jitte.







I'm pretty excited about my new Pauper Commander. Finally got around to making the deck.

It was surprising to find a decent amount of trickery to do with this guy. I'm looking forward to abusing Chant of the Skifsang and Narcolepsy as well as Bramble Elemental, which has a pretty cool interaction with SG's ability.










My efforts to find a lasting mono-Black deck have brought me to this old spellshaper's front door.

As part of the fun of this deck, I will be making the Wheel of Greel, per a previous statement I made about him in a list of my favorite Commanders so long ago.

I've been really into Discard outlets and free spells recently, because it's nice to turn bad cards into something useful. That's why I think this situation is pretty win-win. Even if I'm testing out jank, I can still use it to do something relevant.

Hopefully, it'll result in my playgroup playing Witchbane Orb and Imperial Mask, but no promises.

We'll see how it goes.

I know I'm making some pretty obscure decks, but if you guys have suggestions, questions, comments, or anything, lemme know what you think by leaving comments below or emailing me at unclelanddrops@gmail.com.

Johnny C's back Thursday, so tune in.

Till then, [insert random facts] into your daily life. And don't get girls pregnant.

-UL








No comments:

Post a Comment