Sunday, June 16, 2013

Super Secret Sunday #20: The Father's Day Special

Hey Zoners! It has been a while but welcome back to another Super Secret Sunday. The place where we talk about underplayed cards, under the radar strategies, and under-thought thoughts. Today is Father's Day so naturally I'll be looking at some of my favorite fatherly cards.

Cabal PatriarchFun fact: I have never EVER seen this card. I mean, physically I have never seen a copy. Nor have I ever viewed a decklist with this guy as the Commander. Weird, huh? This has to fall solidly under the Under Utilized category of EDH Generals. If anybody submits a decklist featuring this card at the helm in the comments I will promise to write all about it in a future article.


Ghost Council of OrzhovaIt's not a big secret that I love Pauper. You know who else loves Pauper? Chris Davis, author and video contributor on ChannelFireball.com. Among Mr. Davis' notable accomplishments: developing the Ghost Dad deck. A deck which got its namesake from this card. Six Degrees of The Ghost Father.



Okina, Temple to the GrandfathersI have seen this card in play a bunch. I am not sure why though, because it is pretty silly. This doesn't accomplish any of the things I want to be doing in my decks, but it is a nonbasic that comes into play untapped, so that is something, I guess.



ThragtuskThis card is all value and super sweet. Even though it does give birth to a beast token, it doesn't really have much to do with fathers. Except, maybe, the sweet nicknames this card has. Swagtusk + The Thragfather = Swagfather. Or as I like to call it: Big Daddy Swagbucks.


Sakura-Tribe ElderThe reason I include this card is also nickname related. This card has been called 'rampant growth on legs'. The legs in question here happen to be old and wrinkly. Hence he is the grandfather of growth. Grandpa Growth even sounds a little bit like Rampant Growth.

Well that is enough lighthearted theme nonsense. I'll be back next week with even more super secret tech!

Le GG's.






No comments:

Post a Comment