Sunday, June 9, 2013

In General: The Dreaded Ban List Article Part 3

Well hey there neighbor! Welcome back to the final segment of my long awaited discussion of the ban list. Throughout the parts of this series I have been taking a comprehensive look at the "Official" Commander banned list. In part 1, we took a look a the function the Rules Committee serves, the necessity of a banned list, and how your playgroup can make these decisions for themselves. In part 2, we took a look at the cards on the banned list, the reasons they were banned, and I weighed in on whether or not I thought a ban was justified. Today in the ultimate segment I will discuss the few reasons that I think are acceptable for banning cards in Commander and what cards I think need to be removed from the format.

Reason Number 1: Precedent from the DCI
As I mentioned in the previous parts, the DCI and Wizards' Organized Play collect and analyze a ton of information about event attendance, product sales, and top 8 results. Combine that with Wizards internal marketing research and now you have a lot of information to make predictions and decisions about the health of a format and the pros/cons of a ban. I will take this opportunity to reiterate that the Commander RC does not even come close to this level of analysis.

With that in mind, it makes some sense to trust the DCI's decisions about what cards can create an unhealthy format. At the very least it is a logical alternative to simply trusting the RC. The DCI's process is more scientific and they are much more capable of making decisions on an evidentiary basis.

This is all to say: if it is banned in Legacy, there is a legitimate argument for banning it in Commander. As I have previously discussed, I hate drawing lines in the sand. I will avoid doing it whenever possible because opinions differ so greatly between people. If a line must get drawn, do it in the most logical place and don't get bogged down in the details. So I would recommend banning ALL the cards on the Legacy banned list, even if some of them don't seem like much of a problem in Commander.

The Legacy Banned List is a bit extensive and can be viewed here: Check it out

Reason Number 2: Interacting Strangely Deck Construction
Because of the specific restrictions of a highlander format, the requirements of having Legendary creatures be included and constantly available, and the non-standard beginning life total some cards vary in function in Commander. Note: this is not an argument based on power level. I don't think any of these cards should be banned on that basis. We are attempting to set a precedent here. Do not allow cards whose functionality is changed by the rules of the format, whether that change is positive or negative.

This list of cards includes: Serra Ascendent, Felidar Sovereign, Test of Endurance, Tsabo Tavoc, Empress Galina, Karakas, Battle of Wits, and if not playing with sideboards: all of the Wish cards and Spawnsire of Ulamog. (There could be other things like these, I am only human, and only one human at that so I beg forgiveness if I have left anything important out)

An important point to be made here is that I categorically do not condone the idea of psuedo-errata-ing cards just so that they work in EDH. E.g. Serra Ascendent 'turns on' at your initial life total plus ten or Phage, the Untouchable doesn't make you lose if it is your general.

Aaaaaand that is really it. I don't think anything is too powerful or too little fun. Those are too subjective, too personal of criteria to make 'official' decisions about.

If you stuck with me through all three parts of this diatribe then you are a true Zoner, you have my thanks, and you deserve a medal. Next week I will be back to my old grind. Who knows, I may even put up a Super Secret Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment