Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Stack #20- Heroes with Zeros

Welcome to the 20th episode of The Stack Zoners!

It's almost been a year on the blog-o-sphere, so like a first born child, we're going to pat ourselves on the back a little more than we normally would for reaching the big "Two-Zero" Hopefully though, we've become your favorite thing to stare at while cartoons are on and the cereal's getting soggy, so maybe you'll throw us a bone too.

If not, pardon our self praise. It's the small victories that keep us going.

We thrive off self-fives.

Naturally, our theme is, well, on theme. We're talking about the little guys- our favorite creatures with zero power.

Little guys and little victories. Real heartwarming stuff.

I googled "heartwarming." Wanted to share.
Anyway, I'm last in today, so I'm coming atcha first.  THIS IS THE STACK!

UNCLE LANDDROPS' PICK

Uncle Landdrops-  THE COOLEST
One of my more recent discoveries. I've been scrambling around for a copy for a while now. I haven't played it, but I'm really looking forward to it in this new Greel brew I've mentioned. It's got nice synergy with other bin-based strategies like Lazav and Mill too.  

Johnny Confidant- OH THAT'S NASTY!
I can see this causing a lot of pain in a deck focused around making big graveyards. I've seen some black creatures that allow for damage negation or powerful effects like reanimation, but this is something worth checking out for myself!

Grandpa Growth- THUMBS UP
This card feels like a pretty legitimate beating. I have some game states where this thing is just going to be instantly lethal to me and I can't kill it cause it is Black. Racist removal sucks. Fear does not.

The art on this thing is perfect. The creature is...disturbing. The expression on the mans face? Chilling. It would be scary if it wasn't so funny.

Venser's Journalist- APPROPRIATELY A HORROR (THUMBS UP)
This card is gross. Fear is legitimately hard to stop for most players with no black in their decks, plus this combined with some milling could make for a guilt-tripping monstrosity.

VENSER'S JOURNALIST'S PICK

Venser's Journalist- SPIRIT ANIMALS UP
One great thing about this card is that it is an excellent draw engine for any bubbles/voltron deck out there. Being able to benefit two ways from playing your enchantments makes each and every totem armor in your deck that much better. Plus she's got built in Auramancer's Guise, which makes her a potentially devastating attacker. Not to mention the big angry mammoth behind her...

Johnny Confidant- Kor Aura Wizard, Harry! GET IT?
Puns are fun.. on topic though, we're talking an aura voltron that rewards you for making an enchantress deck. My girl had this in her Bruna deck which was recently taken apart due to the one trick pony show she does. Oh well! I wish she was Legendary. I could make a solid Mono white deck around her.

Uncle Landdrops-  YOU CAN DANCE, IF YOU WANT TO
Gotta go Thumbs Down. I've played this card in 60-card decks before, where it was okay. I don't really like it in EDH though. I've passed it up most recently in my now defunct Doran deck, where I was definitely playing enough Auras to make her good. It just didn't work out.


Grandpa Growth- HE TOOK MINE
It's funny because I just finished writing about how much I hate enchantress decks in my set review. I have actually played this card quite a bit in my Bruna deck though. So what? I'm a hypocrite human. Side note: are all plays on words puns?

GRANDPA GROWTH'S PICK

Grandpa Growth- BLADES UP
Strangling garishly dressed men under water since 1995.
  
Johnny Confidant- THUMBS UP
I'm impressed, a Blue wall that produces additional walls! Not to sure I'd play it but, I like the idea of it!

Venser's Journalist- HELP, I'VE FALLEN AND THIS KELP WON'T LET MY THUMBS UP
Walls on walls on walls on walls. But seriously, this card gets a middle-of-the-road score from me.

Uncle Landdrops-  THUMBS UP
Just got myself a copy of this card for this Llawan deck I have in the works. Can't wait to play this. I love how the old border and the water in the art make it feel almost like a full art experience.
  JOHNNY CONFIDANT'S PICK

 Johnny Confidant- YOU BEAUTIFUL HIPPIE!
I recently took her out of Karador and into Animar with better results. Technically, a Gilded Lotus for 3 ({G} more like it) and I love her in my opening hand. She may not have the toughness, but shes got all the tempo I need.

Uncle Landdrops- THUMBS UP
I've been rocking her in Animar for a while. It's as bonkers as you think. She can do more than just facilitate Animar. Mono-Green is the most immediate benefactor because it really caters to the people who like big creatures, but I could see control decks liking this card if they can get their Flash Dudes in hand, or even just being able to put pressure on early. She is fairly 'anorexic' though, which can sometimes be pretty rough. I still like her though. Good pick.

Grandpa Growth - THUMBS UP
This card is pretty snapped. Not a big surprise. Fast mana is sick. Big mana is usually sick. The conflux of these two things is...you guessed it: BANANAS! I like this design space, restricting the mana keeps the power level somewhat in check, but in a format with a card pool this big, there is a creature to do what ever you wanted to do anyway. Gain life, draw cards, kill stuff, set up combos, tutor, etc. We have it all here at the The General Zone. Side note: Is that what tempo means?


Venser's Journalist- PEACE, LOVE, AND THUMBS UP
Nothing like getting a whole lotta mana for all your crazy creatures spells!

Make sure to swing back by Sunday. Grandpa's got my Simic Guildmage Pauper EDH on tap for his next installment of Paupularity Contest.

And our schedule next week will get back to our regularly scheduled time, where JC will be back on Thor's Day and I'll be rocking the Tues. with something about Eldrazi or a List of some kind.

Till then, Keanu's gonna give us all something to think about.


If Magic is all we've ever known, then it's easy to miss what really goes on.

-UL

No comments:

Post a Comment