Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Stack #18- Magic Card Avatars

I like self-reflection Zoners.

It's the key to learning and improving, if you're interested in those things- but it can also be pretty fun.

This last week, we've been discussing which card best describes ourselves. At the table, in life- and we've got some pretty good self-reflectors here.


Still, I had just one question. One which I'm sure you'll be asking at the end here.

What did we do to be so Black and Blue?

I didn't know, so I asked Louis Armstrong.

Anyway, even if you don't get this, be sure to enjoy the sultry sounds of one of the world's finest musicians as we discuss in a rather unrefined way what we think we'd be if we were Magic cards.

Cause who cares? THIS IS THE STACK!

VENSER'S JOURNALIST'S PICK
Venser's Journalist- ABOUT 85% ACCURATE, WHICH IS ABOVE AVERAGE
I am more powerful when nobody knows what I am...

Johnny Confidant-  Accurate as far as i can tell
I know your secret now...

Uncle Landdrops- Confound your lousy Toll, Troll...
Ladies and Gentle-Zoners, there is a troll amongst us. Or maybe not.

I find parts of VJ's self-assessment particularly on point. The man's a wizard, this much is certain. The flavor text is something I think VJ would say, and the art feels ripe for a VJ Card Avatar. And he's pretty morphy with a high cost. I can buy all these things in a VJ Avatar.

It's the nomenclature I'm worried about. Scornful Egotist. It's hard for me to put my big 'ol stamp of approval on this part, because it feels just too dark, even if he believes it's the truth. 


Grandpa Growth- OH BOY

This does not bode well for what's on the other side of the curtain. What am I supposed to make of this? You're all smoke and mirrors? You do your best work face down? You're back side looks better than your front side? I always say: "It's only awkward if you make it awkward." VJ you just made it awkward.

VJ Rebuttal - Awkward according to plan...


















JOHNNY CONFIDANT'S PICK
Johnny Confidant- PRETTY CLOSE
When I first started playing EDH, I felt obscenely out of the loop with the game. Through much trial and error I learned what to watch for, how to build, correct timing for spells and plays. I also had a friend teach me the basics as well as the more intermediate aspects the game has to offer. I owe how my deck operated to the players I have versed, and my friends which without them would not have been fun.

Uncle Landdrops- HMMM...
I've had my thinker's cap on for several days with this one. I find it to be much more complex than just being a dude, like me or VJ, or even the fact that GG's Card-Atar is merely an idea. But it makes sense. Ideas, as we all know are bulletproof.

I think JC's got good justification here, and GG's analysis covers some other corners. I don't know. It doesn't feel like "the" card that describes JC to me, ya know? There's just gotta be a card, with similar buddy-helperness, like Escaped Shapeshifter-but-not, that could cover a little bit more here.
 
Grandpa Growth - GOTTA BE PRETTY CLOSE
Let's check the angles. This is a popular card in the format, so you can be pretty sure that it applies to a good number of people. It's Blue, and people who know what's up tend to know that Blue is what's up.

This card is a common and we all know that commons are super sweet. It's the good half of a Sphere of Resistance stuck to the good half of a Howling Mine, extra sweet. AAAnd disruption suits me to a T. (UL apparently concurs).

So, from this we have surmised that JC and I share: a mad lust for value, love of disruption, commons, Blue, and card drawing. This makes us essentially the same person. I love this card, and I think that JC and I are alike, ergo JC must like this card so it probably describes him well. Pot commitment based on initial assumptions! Other things I like: circular logic, tautologies, and redundant synonymous explanations.


Venser's Journalist- I'D LIKE TO THINK SO
Having not met JC in real life, I can assume that he has learned much from others. Then again, haven't we all? I suppose what makes JC different is that you'd be paying not to let him study off you.


GRANDPA GROWTH'S PICK
Grandpa Growth- NAILS IT
This doesn't say much about me as a player, but as a person it points out one of my most important driving forces: The novelty of experience. I am an insatiable consumer of information. I love trying and learning new things, particularly disciplines of science. There is also a hidden level here of acquiring new knowledge and discarding technology. Those who know me can tell you that I am not enchanted by the multiplying villainies of the digital world.


Johnny Confidant- I'D SAY ACCURATE
I've never actually met or discussed with GG or Venser's Journalist so these come from a limited frame of mind. As far as I have read, this is accurate and from what I can tell, GG's got knowledge to share and is hungry for more.

Venser's Journalist- I'M WITH JOHNNY ON THIS
From reading GG, I can tell anyone who is willing to write multiple articles breaking down the various archtypes of MTG players and how that correlates to Commander definitely shows a drive to expand his knowledge, even at the cost of a measly artifact.

Uncle Landdrops-  CLOSE. LIKE 97% THERE
It says draw a bunch of cards, it's blue, and it's an instant- all things I'd expect from Grandpa. I know he can't have all the cakes and eat them too, but I would've liked to see something with disruption in it. This is a big part of Grandpa's game. This is a good pick-- We just can't forget the Wrath-y parts.

UNCLE LANDDROPS' PICK
Uncle Landdrops-  Not Dead On, But Very, Very Close
My playstyle has evolved quite a bit in the past couple of years, but I think this title, the creature types, and abilities all feel really good here. I don't confine myself to color identities, but I do like the way mono colored decks play, and I've played a lot of them.

Mostly, I think this card reflects the way I'm always on the prowl for creating memorable games, and always looking for cheap 2-for-1 removal. Add a little bit of Madness to my deck playing and process, and you got yourself a stew going. I like being the little guy, the underestimated one at the table. No one looks at the 1/1 guy too much. 

Johnny Confidant- DEAD ON 
My first experience with UL was on Tapped out over our Animar decklists. Since then I have taken a note from him about big creatures and epic plays that my Animar, and now Karador, are now known for.

Grandpa Growth- PRETTY DEAD ON
UL and I have spent a lot of time playing each other and shooting the breeze on EDH philosophy. He likes: value, unique/zany cards, fantastic board states, and 'epic' moments. He doesn't like to small ball things or to do what's already been done. He definitely plays with a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove that the underplayed cards can get it done. 

Venser's Journalist- WITH HORNS MOUNTED ON THE WALL AND EVERYTHING
Uncle Landdrops doesn't fool around, but he's unpredictable enough to make you think so sometimes. Definitely a human, most certainly a rebel, and I wouldn't know if he is an assassin, but then again, what he does in his free time is his business...

We've got a great week ahead Zoners, so be sure not to miss out.

As per the usual trend, Grandpa's got his m14 set reviews raring to go starting tomorrow, so be sure not to miss those, which will be coming at you on Monday and Wednesday this week.

Also, be sure to tell us what kind of card you think you'd be in the comments below. We'd love to hear what card best describes you.

Whatever you do, whoever you are, just be cool and unpredictable- like Jazz.

-UL

No comments:

Post a Comment