Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Shaper Savant: The Un-counter-ables

Hey hey hey all you planeswalkers, VJ here today. Let me tell you about EDH games gone horribly wrong due to one person with an all red Norin the Wary deck. Silly MTG player, don't you know that red only looks good on Fat Albert...



Being a member of the Azorius Guild, I've taken to building better Blue/White EDH decks. When playtesting, the one thing that either breaks or makes my deck is how it stands up against the guild's direct opposite: pure, hammer and sickle Red decks.

Mostly burn is what will kill my decks, since creature removal is basically Counterspell. But red is full of tricky spells that are the result of too many burn/goblin deck fanatics who complained about the "unfair leverage" that counter-magic possesses.

Truth be told, if a counterspell-lover and a burn player got into a poker match, my money would be on whoever keeps at least two open islands at the end of their turn.

But before I start opening the gambling lines, let me tell you about some spells that particularly got my goat in this match against Norin, the Hairy.

Okay, creature removal. I get it. And dealing an uncounterable 5 damage for two mana is pretty sweet.

Clearly, though, this player had a specific meta-game in mind. Isperia 2.0 comes out on turn 8, enough mana left for the Negate in my hand, and this resolves.

My hands go up in the air and my heart sinks while she goes back to the command zone.








Of course this would be in a Norin the Wary deck; he gives no damns about boardwide spells.

He cast it because I had out Azorius Guildmage, Lyev Skyknight, and Gwafa Hazid.

I can see why he'd want Gwafa dead. This card is basically a more powerful, one-time Rolling Temblor (chronologically speaking, though, Rolling Temblor is a less powerful, two-time Volcanic Fallout), and for that, I congratulate you and simultaneously shake my fist in the air.





It's bad enough that my Commander combusted and my creatures were caught in a volcanic fallout.

Then there's this uncounterable, pro Blue/White 6/6 flyer to deal with. Baloney, I say.

Thank God she doesn't have vigilance; Sunblast Angel is one white card Akroma can't deal with.









I ended up losing to Banefire.

Probably shouldn't have let him get to 14 mana.

Silly Akroma  shouldn't have stayed on the field for three turns either.


Norin won, fair and rectangular. Thanks to this not-so-hot tech.

Guess I brought counterspells to a firefight...



On that note, I end with this quote: "He who counters thinks ahead; he who plays the uncounterable thinks behind at all the times his awesome spells have been countered."

Stay classy planeswalkers.

-VJ

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you got a little unlucky Veej. Happens.

    In all fairness, I don't know anyone who'd put this much uncounterable nonsense in a Norin deck. Maybe Banefire. that's actually good. Volcanic Fallout's alright, but Red Akroma? Combust? I would've laughed in this guy's face.

    Still, sounds like you hindered the big game plan. The toughest cards with Norin are Pandemonium and Confusion in the Ranks.

    That's a tough game to battle out, but at least you did it. This person's obviously done a fair amount of ragequitting to countermagic, I think we can assume. So he had his day of drawing into all his uncounterable nonsense.

    What's most important though. Are you gonna add Sundial and Brittle Effigy and Mindbreak Trap? Cause I think you should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These have all crossed my mind (except for Mindbreak Trap), and I suppose that those may be worth investing in should I find myself in more situations like the uncounterable nonsense deck.

      Sundial I'm on the fence about. My metagame really only had room for one or two instances of someone casting an uncounterable spell. And in most cases, the uncounterable creatures are easy to deal with.

      You'd be surprised at some of the crazy things people do at the tabletop gaming club. It's the only place I've seen a three person match where everyone had a turbo-fog deck.

      Delete