Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Card Corner : M14 Reprint tech

Welcome back Zoners, it's your informant Johnny C. here on the regularly scheduled... Tuesday?

Yes my friends, UL and I switched days last week. So I hope it isn't too confusing as we get back to our regularly scheduled times.

Anyway, this week's subject is Reprints.

Personally I love 'em-- especially when it's popular cards that might cost a pretty penny. Getting the Shocklands back this year in Standard alone made paying for boosters all the more worth it. Here are a selection of M14 reprints that I'm interested to get into play.

Altar's Reap(Innistrad)

This common is fairly good in Pauper EDH play. Blue and Black commons have solid card draw and when combined with all the Disentomb-style effects in Black, the drawback not so bad. I use this in my Pauper Orzhov deck and it's been great.

Blessing(4th Edition Revised)

Upon first glance I thought this was a new card. To my surprise it hasn't seen print in over a decade.

Now we're looking at a pretty cut and dry aura here and I know just who to put it on-- Rafiq of the Many. Exalted, Double-strike with a pump-me-up enchantment like this in addition to the rest of the package that makes him so good (I mean, frustrating). It's a moderately good aura, but this feels like Firebreathing no?

Darksteel Forge(Darksteel)

So many times have I looked at Decklist's of Esper Generals, Memnarch and Arcum Dagsson and seen this gem floating around it. Why? Cause these decks tend to also run Mycosynth Lattice for multiple reasons and the Forge just makes it so much more devastating with wrath's and steals. Blue and Esper have their own ways to get this card into play without paying its full mana cost so if your doing it right, it's never really an issue as 9-drop.

Darksteel Ingot(Commander)

Indestructible 3 drop that can go in virtually any deck. Nothing much to say here except that it's a nice mana fixer. Special note to you Pauper players out there: it may say Uncommon in M14, but it was printed as a common in Darksteel. So go pick one up for 35-cents today!

Door of Destinies(Morningtide)

When it comes to Tribal decks, it's no surprise that this card is usually one the the 99. Seeing that it only buffs you and your creature type, it's a little bit better quality than the similarly popular Coat of Arms. At 4 mana this is also  a good early EDH play and the longer it stays on the battlefield, the harder your hits are.

Fun Zone: Try this out with Vorel of the Hull Clade as a tribal Human or Merfolk deck and watch your creatures power boost double in power every chance you get with Vorel for some Simic Beatdown.

Quicken(Guildpact)

Not too bad to make Sorceries faster. Add on a cantrip all for {U} and it's a solid play. Even if you don't have a sorcery to play, the Quicken loves use on end-phases of opponent's turns. After they tap out, you can jump early to get that sorcery cast before your next untap step.

Scavenging Ooze(Commander)

I'm sure that this isn't the first time a card printed in a non-standard set has made it into either a core set or Block, but needless to say, I'm pretty excited. This guy's pretty gnarly versus reanimator decks like my Karador EDH. I put this guy in the grave first chance I get, Same thing for Grafdigger's Cage... Ugh...

Traumatize(Magic 2011)

For 5-mana milling an opponent ~40 cards is not a bad way to put them in a bit of a situation. Recently with the Dimir Champion and Guild Leader being printed, Mirko Vosk and Lazav have inspired people to try milling as a serious win condition for EDH (Excluding Oona and Leyline of the Void exlie shenanigans). This, along with Mind Grind and Consuming Aberration, make for great card loss for your opponents.

Fun Zone: Mill yourself with this while playing Bruna, Light of Alabaster for some serious Enchantress action!

That's all for today Zoners. Till next week I'll be working on Igniting My Spark.
So if you don't hear from me, you'll know that I succeeded.
- Johnny C.

No comments:

Post a Comment