Friday, August 24, 2012

Ten Cards Guaranteed To Improve Any Deck


Today we're gonna talk about the best of the colorless- The Artifacts!

I'm in the process of compiling a reference list for the site where you can find EDH staples for every color and color combo. 

For now though, we're not talking about that.

So let's start the countdown with the Honorable Mentions, in no particular order.


Crucible of Worlds 
The only card of its kind. It's a fantastic include in decks with any of the Zendikar or Onslaught fetches, and loves its PIC, Strip Mine. Any deck's lucky to have it, but the Crucible is not for every deck.
 

Mimic Vat
Sweet card for a lot of reasons and a host of situations. Card just simply lost out to the cream of the crop.

Wurmcoil Engine

Sweet 2-for-1 creature. very few removal spells get its terror completely handled. 

Batterskull

Sweet equipment/dude. Can be saved and recurred, which is awesome.

All is Dust

Sweet removal, especially for decks that play mana-doublers like Extraplanar Lens, Gauntlet of Power, and Caged Sun.

Sword of Feast and Famine

Gives you mana advantage and disrupts your opponent, along with great protection colors, green and black being pretty common colors.

Sword of Fire and Ice

Draws you cards and shocks your opponent or his/her creatures. Also great protection colors. 

Now for the REAL LIST!


10. Duplicant


Ol' Dupey's a sweet 2-for-1 that gives you better board control and provides great removal, particularly for those people in your playgroup that try to slam Eldrazi or the Colossus brothers. The Dupe handles all those game threats and can turn the tide. He may not get the triggered abilities, but he's so great in green and red decks which don't have the remove from game mechanic for creatures. Also, Dupe's a great target for cheaper tutors like Fierce Empath and Treasure Mage.


9. Sensei's Divining Top


I have to say, I didn't really want this card to make the list. Mostly because I'm not sure it's good on EVERY turn in EVERY deck, and my intention was to put more accessible cards on this list.

But it's just too good to leave out. The Top only has one mortal enemy that can kill it in Krosan Grip, but it also has a friend in Trinket Mage to make it a consistent target in any blue deck. 


Top changes the game though, so despite my efforts, it makes the list at no.9.


T-7. Nevinyrral's Disk / Oblivion Stone


Mass Removal is a huge part of EDH. The Disk and Stone are great additions to any deck, resetting the board and creating equilibrium.

I put them here as a tie at 7 because I'm not sure which ones just better overall. They both have advantages in situations. 


Stone kills Planeswalkers and can be activated as soon as it's played, but costs more to activate. Disk costs less, but doesn't hit Planeswalkers. Stone might have the edge cause it can protect your stuff, but then you've probably had it out took long. It's a conundrum, really. 


6. Steel Hellkite


Surprise card maybe?
I think this card is great. It's the creature blue and black needed to help them with pesky enchantments and other threatening artifacts. In addition, he can destroy token armies in a single combat step. 


I think Hellkite's an auto include in about every deck. Period.

5. Solemn Simulacrum

Speaking of auto-includes, enter Solemn Simulacrum. Though scholars maintain that the translation of his name was lost centuries ago, we know what his name means. Value.

Solemn is Value, and one of the best decisions you can make for any deck is to put Solemn Simulacrum in it. 


Let's thank Swedish Magic Pro Jens Thorén for the design of this incredible 2/2. He's the land ramp you can't get anywhere else except green. He's the card draw you can't get if you're not playing blue, or paying life in black. Yes, my friends. It's true. 

Solemn Simulacrum IS the most interesting card in Magic.



Stay Winners, my friends. Play Solemn
A land, a creature, a card. For four mana. So go, get your cousin Chuck Berry on the phone. Cause you know that sound he's been looking for? It's here, it's cheap, and it'll save your life.

4. Umezawa's Jitte


Some cards are just better than others. This happens.

Then once in a while, there's a card. A card that's just too amazing to be fair. 



And so it rules the world. This is Umezawa's Jitte. Perhaps one of, if not the best equipment across all of Magic. 


This card turns games around. The Jitte wins games. 


Yeah, it's expensive, but if it could, the Jitte would be killing in every deck forever.


3. Skullclamp


I know what I just said about the Jitte, and it still is cooler than sliced bread. 


Skullclamp however, does the one thing the Jitte cannot. It draws cards. 


It gets the bump over the Jitte here because of this. It's also cheaper to buy, less expensive to cast, and it makes decks with bad EDH colors, like red and green, actually contenders. 


It's better because it can be played in every deck forever, and it should. 


2. Sol Ring


Tolkien wrote that there was One Ring to rule them all. And this is it. 


One of the purest EDH staples. It's ramp, and hot, nasty, badass speed. 


If you have one it should be in a deck. I once found myself with 6 decks and a Sol Ring not in any of them.


You know what I did? I punched myself. I punched myself right in the mouth. Then I cleaned up my bloody knuckles and put that Sol Ring in a deck. 


Don't make the same mistake I did, is all I'm saying. Sol Ring is that good.

1. Karn Liberated

Karn, Planeswalker Extraordinaire is no.1 because he's a seven mana win-condition. 

He's the Peyton Manning of Planeswalkers, with a matching, flavorful story of injury and triumph to boot.
Looks like a winner to me.
It's difficult to say he's the best Planeswalker in EDH because Jace, The Mind Sculptor is very Tom-Brady competitive, but Karn I think has the edge. 

For starters, he can go in any deck, and covers many weaknesses and removal.
Jace is an easier preparation. Is your opponent's general blue? If no, you got nothing to worry about. 


Second, Karn's abilities allow him to change the game completely in 3 turns by rebooting the game.

Jace is great, but the decision-making process of choosing whether to bounce dudes, fateseal, or brainstorm becomes a difficult balance reserved for more advanced players. Not saying he's not good, he's just better when you know what the situation calls for. 


So Karn gets the nod. Play it if you got it, and you won't regret it. I swear.


When I return from my 24-hour break, we'll talk more. 


Pass Turn.

-Uncle Landdrops

2 comments:

  1. surprised lightning greaves isn't anywhere on this list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Greaves was on my original list.

    As I started eliminating cards though, I thought the cards I put on there did more for the board state and worked more towards winning games than ol' Greavesy.

    While the Greaves may offer protection against pesky removal and give your dude the hasty-cakes, I'd argue that it's only as good as the creatures whom you decide to protect.

    That's why the Greaves didn't make the top Ten. However, I think that it was mostly an oversight that it wasn't in my Honorable Mentions.

    I'll fix it though when I go to make the master-staple list.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete