Thursday, August 23, 2012

Card Corner: Moonlight Bargain



Moonlight Bargain is a pretty recent acquisition for me, and
I have to say I’m pretty impressed with it as an EDH card.

I discovered, or I guess re-discovered it while I was researching black instant cards for a Toshiro Umezawa EDH I just finished last week.

Some might argue that Moonlight Bargain comes at a hefty price of 5 mana and 10 life to draw five cards.

They wouldn’t be wrong, because this card does exactly that.
However, the card does a whole lot more for the state of the game than you’d expect.

The point is that Moonlight Bargain is straight card advantage. Every strategy wants to dig into their deck and get stuff. Control wants a card to get out of a jam or avoid a disaster. Aggro wants more dudes. Combo wants its pieces.

In my mind, Bargain comes at a sweet deal. You get to sift through the things you want and lose the things you don’t need. Most of the time, you won’t be paying 10 life. Even if you do, it’s less of a cost than it is in 60-card for the advantage.

Potentially, I think Bargain would find its best play in BW decks like Vish Kal where you can gain life, Teneb Reanimators where you can dump dudes and grab reanimates, and possibly some mono-B combo-control or combo-aggro decks like the Mikaeus, the Unhallowed deck. It’ll work in a U/B control, but unless you’ve got some graveyard recursion or ways to flashback spells I wouldn’t recommend it.

In my experience playing with this card, I’ve had a lot of success. For some reason, every black deck I own tends to have mana issues, so it’s been really helpful being able to play it in preparation to meet the land quota.

It’s also saved me several times, helping me to get to any one of the plethora of tutors I play in the deck, creating a consistency that allows me to get fairly quick kills for EDH.

Overall, a very underrated card that I haven’t seen on many decklists, but it should be if you’re gonna play black.

Alright. I’m passing the turn to you.

—Uncle Landdrops

No comments:

Post a Comment