Tuesday, April 2, 2013

UL's Deck Files: Infernal Kirin EDH

Well, I'd hoped to be doing a Repay In Kind today, but I'm gonna wait a little while longer and see if this person gets back to me before I just go ahead and write the article and make the proxy with or without their permission.

So instead, we're talk about what's new for me in the deck design department.

Last week, I rolled out a new deck. Infernal Kirin.

I like to call him Bad Horse, but if you don't know who the "Thoroughbred of Sin" is, then educate yourself. I'll get you started.

This is Bad Horse

Like the Evil League of Evil, this deck has no other choice than to be ruled by Bad Horse's iron hooves.

In other words, I had to center this deck around Kirin, but I've found out that it's not quite as central as someone might think.




So, I haven't said it yet, but yes- THIS IS A SPIRIT AND ARCANE SPELL TRIBAL DECK.

Why? Cause it's goofy, fun, and actually fairly powerful.

Unlike the other Kirin Spirits, Infernal Kirin's advantage lies in the fact that his ability adds value to the preexisting strategy of discard without getting in the way or being too reliant on having him out to be successful.

Though casting him turn four and having him out for free information and beatings is awesome, there's quite a few cards that are individually dangerous on their own.





One of the more inspiring parts of this deck is the fact that I get to play a nice little package of 1-drop discard spells like Appetite for Brains.

Logic and the curve might say if you're playing Kirin Turn 4, a card like this would be counterintuitive and take away from getting cards out before you should.

However, most of the time this card is really just working at obtaining free information. By knowing your opponent's stuff on Turn 1, you can play a few set up spells and cast Kirin on Turn 4 with an idea of what they'll have to play.

Like I said, Appetite is probably not even as good as Inquisition of Kozilek, Duress, perhaps Cabal Therapy. Even so, it's still incredible value because of what you're trying to do with the deck.




Sickening Shoal, Swallowing Plague, and Death Denied are three of my favorite spells in this deck. X Arcane Spells really provide nice versatility. Swallowing Plague isn't an instant, but Shoal and D-squared are, so you can use them in response to someone trying to blow up Kirin or something else. Just one more reason that Kirin is the preferred deck for the mayor of value-town.











I mentioned Wicked Akuba last week in my Spin It Into Myth section, but it's worth mentioning again. This card is ultra-mega exciting for me. Most of the other spirits at CMC 2 are pretty cute additions that would be better with a Skullclamp. But not this guy. Wicked Akuba's too big for his britches, attacking for 2 and then adding damage if you're willing to pay the troll toll. He's almost a mid-range creature, and next to Hymn to Tourach, there's just no better two-drop in this deck than my man Wicked Akuba.










The last card I want to talk about this week is Midnight Banshee. Though not from the spiritual land of Kamigawa, this Shadowmoor merc has a nice home in Kirin. Being a mono black deck, Banshee spreads all the pain to my opponents and my lone Solemn Simulacrum, which my parents taught me never to leave home without.

I've already had a lot of success with Banshee, helping me to power down cards like Sigarda and keep sometimes pesky generals like Nin off the battlefield. If Kokusho weren't in this deck, it'd easily the best big man on the scene. Heck, it might even be better.






Anyway, if you're looking for a sneak peek of my original design, here's a list to get you started.

Infernal Kirin EDH First Draft

Hopefully I'll have more fun tech and some good stories to share soon.

In two day's time, look for me to bring more musings by the light of the moon.

-UL






















No comments:

Post a Comment