Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Spin Into Myth: Loony Dudes

Heya Zoners!

Ya boi Landdrops is here with another Spin Into Myth, the segment full of UL's trial-basis tech.

Today, I've got several oddball creatures to share, and I'm anxious to hear your thoughts, see what people want to try, and what sticks in the next few weeks.

We'll start off with a new piece of Greel tech.

At a CMC of 4, this is where most Mono-Black decks stop durdling if they were, and start casting creatures if they have them. Abyssal Persecutor and Desecration Demon are pretty aggressive cards I like to play here, but this particular spot is pretty expansive.

The Greel deck alone has somewhere over 5+ targets for Fleshwrither's ability. The most notable of these is Erebos, which is pretty nice.

I'm not sure it's any better than say, Diabolic Tutor, but it is more interesting.

With Animar, I'm always trying to change out cards here and there. This is one of two new changes I made.

Obviously, Striker is one of my cheap role players. In past versions of this deck I noticed that the blue and green creatures overpowered the red. Normally, this isn't a problem, but it's in my best interest to have a few extra red creatures for rainy days and rough draws.

Clearly, his Battalion trigger is going to go off the majority of the time, which can put some serious pressure on my opponents. Not being able to block with a dude or their best dude ensures that they are going to be out of luck a little bit quicker than anticipated. My guess is that this will become a Legion Loyalist, but sometimes playing cards that you pulled from your own booster packs can be rewarding.

This is probably not "surprising" tech, per se, as there are a lot of people who like this card, not only in their red decks, but also as a Commander.

My copy of Marton has been sitting in a binder since I made the switch from Fumiko to HH. Strangely, I never once considered it for Animar until a few weeks ago, when I was going through my binder looking for new stuff to try out.

I think he's going to be a bad copy of Mirror Entity for this deck. Like Hero of Oxid Ridge, and Hellrider, Marton gives me incentive to attack with Spellskite and some of the other Myr mana dorks that I play.

I'm not confident in this card, but he does have a high ceiling in Animar, where he has the potential to be better than a bad card.

This past week I made the tough decision to retire Yeva. I'm anxious to get back to what I like most about green decks, and I wasn't able to find ways to keep me excited about playing it.

So we've got a new day, and a new Commander. And Sporemound got invited to this party, where there's plenty of ramp and Skullclamp (probably) to go around.

The testing phase has yielded the results I expected when this thing got spoiled a while back, and I'm glad I finally found a place to get this guy in the game.

And now for my Looniest pick.

When I finally got Daxos to the kitchen table, I noticed there was a huge space in which my deck was lacking: Draw power.

Without consistent momentum, the Daxos deck had a tendency to lose its momentum and eventually get beat in card advantage.

So I brought in the bird.

This was a card one of my friends had been kicking around in a Lavinia list that never got made, and I found it intriguing.

Sawtooth Loon isn't a card I'm necessarily excited about. However, he can create a recurrable engine in a tight spot. He's seen a little action in games so far, and I'm anxious to see more.

So I saved my favorite pick for last.

Before I took apart Yeva, one of my biggest problems was avoiding damage if I didn't have Spike Weaver or a Fog.

A few weeks after Theros came out, I was looking for other ways to stay alive, and thought this might be worth a shot. Get it?
Creature type puns never get old.

Fortunately for this Disciple and her God, I decided that devotion would be a nice element for my new deck. So the process has begun, and we'll see if Nylea's Disciple is worth it.
Well, Porky Pig says I'm done for today. Be sure to leave comments if you have 'em about these various pieces of nonsense I like to play.

I'll be back on Thursday to try and make sense of the spoilers for Born of the Gods.

Until then, let the Wookie win.

-UL








No comments:

Post a Comment