Monday, January 20, 2014

SNAP KEEP?! #3

I'm Grandpa Growth, you're a loyal Zoner, and around here we like to take care of our friends. I am going to reward you with another SNAP KEEP?! The fun weekday segment where I show you an awkward looking hand, tell you the story behind it, then YOU TELL US whether you would keep it or send it back.

This week's hand is some more action from my Pauper Cube. Here, we on the play with a Green/White Aggro/Ramp deck that is splashing Red for a miser's Flame Slash, which is conveniently clogging up our opener. I don't know exactly what my opponent has in his deck, but I am pretty sure that he is Blue because I shipped a Deep Analysis in his direction and saw no Blue whatsoever in Pack 2. Take a look at our starting seven:



So right off the bat I am thinking mulligan because this hand has a ton of problems: No one or two drop, it can't currently cast any of it's spells, it has our only double Green card, our only Red card, and no lands of those colors. Our mana base is something like 7 Plains, 4 Forests, 1 Mountain, Panorama, plus 3 signets: Boros Orzhov. Fourteen is a very reasonable amount of land in Pauper Cube since most of what you have costs 3 or less and there is a ton of bounce lands, artifact acceleration, and mana elves.

Our deck has a high end that consist of Hexplate Golem and Voice of the Provinces, with a Fierce Empath to fetch them. Unfortunately, this hand is light on mana so it could easily stumble before we get to the late game. If my suspicion about our opponent playing Blue is correct, then their late game might just be much better than ours anyway. Also, we don't know what other colors the opponent has. We are hoping to see a more aggressive Black or Red start so that we can clog up the ground with a First Striker and then protecting it with our White Instants.

This hand has a path to victory though, which makes me like it, Test of Faith can just be insane as a combat trick. Countering a Lightning Bolt and adding three counters to our guy usually makes it too big to trade 1-for-1 with.

So what do you think? Is this a snap keep?!

No comments:

Post a Comment