Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Where In The World Is Uncle Landdrops?

Sorry I've been away from the wire a while, but all is good in the world that's 'sposed to be.
The Internets have their hold on me again, and I'm here, typing away with a head full o' new ideas.

In the down time, I was working on some upcoming projects for the site. I'll talk about that in a minute. That and a couple  o' games of EDH in.

For those that care, I actually won a sweet multi-player game the other night with Linessa and her friends in my mono-U Blueberry Bounce House Deck.

I mentioned this deck a while ago in an article I wrote, and I've made changes since, but one of the most interesting things about Linessa and the BBH is that I've found many different ways to win by combo-ing various pieces in the deck.

The obvious combo in the deck is Palinchron and any of the mana doublers, such as Extraplanar Lens, Caged Sun, and High Tide. However, I don't really go off with that too much, because I don't look for the combo, even with a Mystical Tutor in the deck.

Even so, that isn't the most interesting.

My first crazy combo was going Ultimate with Tamiyo to create infinite mana and copies of Palinchron with Rite of Replication so I could draw a bunch of cards with a GG favorite, Whispers of the Muse. I also use Blue Sun's Zenith, on occasion.

My second combo was an insane Yosei-style-lock with Brine Elemental, Aether Adept, and Sakashima the Impostor. It didn't hurt that I also had a Caged Sun out to get the mana, either.

Last Wednesday though, I had my most favorite one yet.

It started by going ultimate with Tezzeret.

There were two opponents left, with basically nothing left on their board a Cryptic Command couldn't handle, so I tapped one guy's dudes and bounced the lone guy on the other side. After activating Tezzeret, I killed an opponent with 5/5 artifact creature versions of Expedition Map, a Conjurer's Closet, Extraplanar Lens, Seat of the Synod, Sol Ring, and my favorite Sad Robot, the Solemn Simulacrum. Marching them Machines straight to victory.

The previous turn, I'd played a Battleball and used Conjurer's Closet to get 8 total Myr tokens. So I strapped on a Corrupted Conscience and swung 5 unblocked damage (Cause of Tezz he was a 5/5), tapping 8 Myr to pump my Battleball and deal the other opponent 13 infect damage. It was actually 21 total poison, because of the way Battlesphere works, but he had Purity out.

This wasn't a clean, prim and proper combo at all, but it was awesome. Thanks to Archaeomancer, that had been like the 3rd or 4th Cryptic I got to cast and about the 6th spell I'd recurred in the game.

So where have I been? I guess the answer is Magical Christmas Land, where the goofiest and craziest plays exist.

Those are the games we remember, even if we don't get to go there to often.

However, now that I'm back, I do have some exciting things for TGZ.

The first thing is that I've been working on a great tool for you guys out there who like opinion and analysis and all the debate you can muster in between.

There will soon be an official little database on TGZ for Generals. Over the past week, I've been slaving it up to examine, grade, and evaluate the 462 currently playable generals in EDH (Myojins and Banned Cards excluded), as well as provide a few of my comments as to their grading.

I'll be working with my site developer to hopefully craft a neat visually acceptable experience. Look forward to that in the next few weeks.

As for more current news, look for me to be talking about some great alternative EDH formats this week, including one GG and I created but never played called the "Restriction Rainbow."

Speakin' of the old fogey, Grandpa Growth's crackin' his old knuckles and dustin' off his keyboard to bring you some excellent insight into value cards for each color. Look for those great articles to be comin off the press pretty shortly.





That's it for now. Gotta get back to the stuff, so like my favorite wizard, Gandalf, I'll just say, "Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth day, at dawn look to the east."




Do not take me for a conjurer of cheap tricks.

Passin' the Turnski.

-UL












No comments:

Post a Comment