Wednesday, October 3, 2012

New Generals, New Sexy-Fun-Times, More Ratings

It's always great to get more friends in the Legendary Creatures club.

Not only is it great to see some new faces, but it's also great because I get to judge them!

So, I won't waste your time. Let's get to work countin' em down!

5. Rakdos, Lord of Riots

Were there a category for most improved of the old looks at Ravnica, Rakdos would be the big winner. He's sportin' a much better mana cost and set of conditions that make him playable in EDH and other formats.

Still, and maybe it's just my stigma towards the Red-Black agenda, but he still feels pretty weak here. Sure, he's the best this color set can offer, but you still have to trigger a condition to play him, and you still have to keep him alive to inhibit value.

At this point, I'm skeptical. Really, really skeptical. Total improvement though.

4. Trostani, Selesnya's Voice

Now, I'm actually really fond of this card. I think it's gonna be a great commander, and it feels a lot more genuinely interactive and flavorful than Rhys the Redeemed, which seems to become less and less fun for me the more I see him get played.

Trostani does some cool things with tokens, and you get to gain a bunch of life in the process. This is probably a deck I'd like to build in the future, if I end up taking apart the Chorus of the Conclave EDH I'm rocking right now.

Really like this card. Think it'll be good. Just not as good comparatively.

3. Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord

Mr. J here has the advantage of being out and seeing play a little bit more than his RTR counterparts.

Now if you recall, I wasn't so fond of him when they first did the Izzet vs. Golgari spoils.

However, I'm coming around. A guy in my playgroup is playing him in a sweet Relentless Rats build which is fairly goofy, but he's pretty ruthless there.

Aside from being King O' Rats, he's pumpable, self-pumpable even, and as the Wizards team mentioned at Comic-Con, he really does have synergy with the lackluster Savra.

G-B has a pretty big place in my heart, and that's prolly why Trostani got the bump here. Still, my impression of the new Golgari sheriff has changed, and I think he'll be good.


2. Isperia, Supreme Judge

There's really only one reason Isperia didn't get the number 1 slot. P and T.

Specifically, T. that ugly little 4 in the corner means that the Azorius Master's still gettin' wrecked by a lot of the 5/5 flyers, of which are mostly Dragons.

Ability wise, I think Isperia has probably the best ability, especially in 1v1 where your opponent will have to concede card advantage.

Bottom Line. Isperia makes me want to play UW, even though I can't stand the fact that I have 0 ramping power.

1. Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius

If you didn't expect this, then I don't think you're smart enough to sport the Dracogenius.

Just kidding. Hashtag, PleaseStillReadMyBlog!

The new 5/5 Izzet Leader got a super-sweet inversion of his old ability and a P and T bump.

The new ability allows him to become the big Cunning Sparkmage we all were so desperate for, and we can draw a card when he attacks.

I guess my biggest qualm in giving him the number 1 spot is that he doesn't lose anything here. Old Niv-Mizzet is still a popular deck, and so will new Niv-Mizzet.

Hopefully, he won't be such a combo-whore this time around, but he'll still be the milkshake that brings all the boys to the yard. And he's still better than yours.

It would be pretty unfair for me to put anything else above him, really.
He's good, but I hope people don't play him just cause he's good.


Passin' it up.

-Uncle L.

No comments:

Post a Comment