Tuesday, September 3, 2013

UL's Better Deckbuilding: Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero EDH

Happy Tuesday Zoners. 

I had a completely different mash-up article I was going to post today, but I changed my mind. The Spellshapers can wait another week.

Instead, Better Deckbuilding returns today with my latest and most rebellious work to date- and I hope to impress.

So let's get started.

WHY LIN SIVVI?

Scrolling through Gatherer for a mono-White replacement to my recently retired Darien deck, I settled on Lin Sivvi for a couple reasons.

Toolbox Power/Engine Creator

First, she had appeal to me as an engine creator. I was looking for another deck that could create a strong recursion mechanic similar to the success I have with Glissa T's, and I was looking for a way to re-invent Glissa's great card advantage, flexibility, and high interactivity while also not being redundant. 

Tribal Potential

Second, Lin Sivvi can be a pretty good tribal deck. That's not really a good reason to build a deck, but I can't say that I haven't been looking for an avenue to pursue this archetype, because I have. I've been very interested in trying to make a "pure tribal" deck that isn't Elves or Slivers to add to my deck portfolio. It's one of the few restrictions I hadn't been able to build around successfully, and although this deck didn't meet my own definition of "tribal," it's still pretty decent.

Strategic Rationale and Play Style Reasons

Obviously, Lin Sivvi doesn't do what Glissa does at all, but they share some similar characteristics, and that's where I started to build the framework.

The most visible of these is their CMC. Both of these Commanders have medium-to-high value-adding utility for the deck regardless of matchup, and so mostly I'm not concerned with casting them on Turn 3 as much as being able to re-cast them for less than 6 the second time. 

Although this quality is mostly responsible for taking the sting out of removal, neither Commander is vital to the strategy of winning either. That doesn't mean that Lin Sivvi won't be cast in a majority of games, because she definitely facilitates effective winning habits. It just means if she dies, even gets tucked, it's not impossible to get the "W."

This comes from deck support. Both decks have really nice card advantage systems on the margin, which create a great defensive "control-like" strategy without counter-magic.

I learned pretty quick with Glissa that most of my opponents don't really want to attack into just her, untapped mana, and a handful of cards.

In analyzing Lin Sivvi and some of the tricks in her toolbox, I realized I can do many of the same things, not only once, but over and over thanks to that second ability which many people forget or don't realize.

Together, all these reasons really provide a strong foundation, and the makings of a pretty fun and fairly effective deck.

THE STRATEGY

There are a couple different overall strategies for Lin Sivvi. Some people have created a few combos for life gain that I thought were a little too cheeky. I was also worried that my playgroup and I would get pretty bored with it if I made it a vital part of the deck strategy.

The first and foremost principle of the deck is fortification. Since its strength is being able to create chump blockers and tutor for dudes, we're playing to that. Setting up the "Tower Defense" is the first part of the strategy.

If we can't find a reasonable way to defend with just dudes, we have Wraths and a few other tricks.

Rule #1 of this deck is Admiral Akbar's favorite saying.

From there, the next step is just a threat to end the game- and naturally, we have backups for that too. So let's look at the Rebels.

REBEL TRICKERY

In doing some studying up on various Lin Sivvi lists, I realized most players weren't maxing out on the tribal aspect. Again, this goes back to our Commander's value as a recursive engine. Also, because there are plenty of redundant ways to replicate her role.

So what kinds of stuff can Liv Sivvi go get?

Defiant Vanguard
By far and way one of my favorite little defensive pieces of tech. A tutor or a quick piece of removal.

Bound in Silence
One of the premier pieces of non-creature Lin Sivvi tech. Because Lin Sivvi's ability puts it into play the same way Zur's combat trigger does, we can avoid Voltron generals with Hexproof and Shroud. It's also helped me keep Eldrazi and other Indestructibles away. This is a total All-Star.

Children of Korlis
This was the most relevant card in any of the little combos I found. It's best paired with Phyrexian Processor, but it's also a nice trick if someone is trying to get in a huge increment of damage.

Reveille Squad
This is a card I haven't picked up yet, but I love the idea of being able to get multiple rebels in a turn. There have been a few games where I could've ended it with one extra dude. Also, I can see this as another way to rattlesnake people away from attacking me. Pseudo-Vigilance is cool.

Mirror Entity
Ladies and Gentle-Zoners, this is the main attraction. Along with my Children + Processor combo, getting Entity out with a bunch of mana and 3-4 guys is lethal most of the time.

CONTROL TECH

Now, most of the time I don't expect things to go according to plan, and they really didn't in my two or three games. So I got a crash course with this stuff early on.

Terminus/Hallowed Burial
These are my favorite Wrath effects in this deck because their value is enhanced by the creatures that I play. Most of my dudes, even my Commander, is fairly expendable, and I can usually find ways to get them back. It's a pretty ideal situation.

Retribution of the Meek
This hasn't been as one-sided of a Wrath as I'd hoped, but it's still up there. I don't think I have a creature with 4 power in this at all.

Teferi's Puzzle Box
This can be good or bad, but I'd like to think it's better for me. My list was in heavy need of netting extra cards, and I don't like to rely on my opponents for that. I like that this also helps keep them from planning too many turns ahead, and keeps me from getting upset when I draw a Rebel I'd rather tutor for.

Nevermore
I mentioned I was gonna be testing this card out. It's been pretty effective so far, proactively hosing Commanders and other known combos in the late-late. Bring your metagame knowledge though.

Parallax Wave
This is a recent addition that I've been fairly pleased with. Exiling Commanders makes this pretty useful as well as protecting my own dudes from other Wraths. It's a nice one for sure.

Devout Witness
This is some new Spellshaper tech I saw and liked. Turning rough draws into recurring removal is something I thought I'd need, and so I have it. Haven't drawn into it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Definitely a card that makes policing the board a lot easier.

OTHER TECH 

Kor Haven
Kor Haven has saved me quite a few times already, and I like it a lot better than Maze of Ith. For starters, it taps for mana. Second, people forget about it, and it causes them to overextend. Cause unlike Maze, it doesn't untap the creature. It's also 1/5th of the approximate cost of a Maze. So if you've got white, treat yourself. This shit is bananas.

Gideon, Champion of Justice
I mentioned a few weeks ago I was playing this, and so far it hasn't been terrible. Being able to protect it for a couple turns with dudes or Wraths gives me a chance to get big and battle.

Planeswalkers are part of the threat package for this deck, and even though this is probably the worst one of the P-Dubs I'm currently playing, it's still draws a decent amount of attention. I really like it though, despite it being pretty sketch.

As always, here's my full list:

Lin Sivvi EDH

I'm always open to comments, thoughts, questions, etc. about Lin Sivvi or anything Commander related. So feel free to do that, either here, on TappedOut, or by emailing me at UncleLanddrops@gmail.com.

Until next time, keep up the rebellion, and whatever the cost, don't tell the Empire where my Rebel base is.


-UL



No comments:

Post a Comment