Thursday, September 12, 2013

UL's Card Corner: Teferi's Puzzle Box

Happy Thor's Day Zoners!

Sorry for the late post today. Keepin' pretty busy, so I gotta make this one short.

We're also a little shorthanded at TGZ. JC's off planeswalking in the real for a little while, so I'm gonna go back to my roots and resume Card Corner duties for at least today with a new fave.

Back in the days when I built terrible decks, I hated Teferi's Puzzle Box. The first time I played against it, the thing wrecked the table and extended our game about 5 turns as we had little cards to draw and not a whole lot of answers for it.

Here in 2013 though, life's good with Teferi's ol' Rubik's Cube. It's become a card that's been getting some play in my Lin Sivvi deck and a few other decks in my metagame.

One of the Box's best qualities is the ability to add pressure to decks that have to hold spells. I'm not sure most Control Decks like this card. Mono Blue has a hard time interacting with it once it hits play, and although they get to draw cards, it could also mean tucking relevant spells away to get something less optimal, making this obviously not good.

Decks with Toolbox power like Lin Sivvi, Zur, Niv-Mizzet (either), and Captain Sisay really don't mind tucking irrelevant cards now for extra draw power. Seeing cards is more important for these decks to get online. The Firemind Niv Combo decks get a lot of value out of the draw because it combos with damage, which is great too.

Having more card draw access does make the Box stronger. Land Tax or Endless Horizons with Puzzle Box are pretty gross together. Filtering out land to get more spells really helps too.

Anyway, that's all I got. Be sure to tune into Saturday's episode of The Stack as we begin to dissect Theros.

Until then, eat your Wheaties, play Instants, and don't forget to bring a Towel.

-UL







2 comments:

  1. I have been loving this card lately. Its so disruptive, but just by choosing when to play it, it always feels less obnoxious on my side of the table. It can force decks to play without their Plan A, and thats when you see how good they really are.
    Side note: would love to see a global version of Mindmoil to break the status quo even more.

    ReplyDelete