Tuesday, January 15, 2013

UL's Card Corner: Glacial Chasm

Whaddup Zoners.

I know it might seem unoriginal to see Uncle Landdrops talking about secret tech land, but I am, and it's the first Card Corner of the year cause I wanted to get it out before the ice melts.

So today's card is Glacial Chasm, and I know you've probably seen this card.

Apparently though, like me, most people were probably not giving this card the credit it deserved when FTV: Realms dropped its spoiler.

I guess that's why I was able to get a couple copies of the better, newer art for a buck or two, and you should too.

This card, believe it or not, can be a complete all-star in the right environment.

Specifically, the Chasm makes slow decks relevant by distorting tempo. In this way, Glacial Chasm plays more like a spell.

Now, without any help, Glacial Chasm is probably not doing your deck any favors with Cumulative Upkeep. Especially in the late-late after you've taken a bruising.

However, with some investment, Glacial Chasm can be pretty destructive.

Currently, my copies are being used in my Chisei, Heart of Oceans EDH and my brand new Heartless Hidetsugu deck, where value is heavily leveraged via two different methods.

The Chisei method is perhaps much more brutal. With Chisei in play, I can play Chasm the following turn and have all kinds of time to stall out the board by removing upkeep counters to keep the cost at 0 life. This has been particularly effective in places where I don't draw into more draw power or land. Though I play a reasonable amount of these two things, sometimes it just doesn't happen.

Special note: Previously, I didn't get specific enough. There's a little bit of intricacy because of rules interactions. Since both Chisei and cumulative upkeep trigger at the same time, there's actually no way to avoid paying 0 life. However, you can keep it from getting out of hand by paying 2 life a turn.

In this way, Chisei's protected me from everything short of Exsanguinate-style cards.

On the other hand, Hidetsugu leverages the Chasm as tempo versus an all-out stall plan. This is because having Hidetsugu out and Glacial Chasm in play, you can actually afford to pay the upkeep cost a couple of times, if all things are constant and your opponents life totals go down to 20 then 10 while you go to 38 then 34.

Another great thing about this in the Hidetsugu deck is that you don't need to attack to get the damage through. Whereas in Chisei you're using it more as a shield, Hidetsugu can actually wield it to win the game instead of finding an answer so you don't lose.

This card's value increases exponentially in playgoups where Strip Mines are ghosts and Armageddons don't happen.

Also, I can imagine a bunch of other ways to leverage Glacial Chasm. In Green Azusa, Crucible of Worlds allows you to sacrifice it every turn while never losing board state or land count, and also provides tutor power so you can get it from your deck. Black can too, along with Vampire Hexmage or Hex Parasite to prevent life loss.

Overall, I found that this card, though in definite need of support, already has built-in coverage in quite a few of my own decks, which is why I think it's legit.

Anyway, never hurts to try it out.

Have fun annoying your opponents with the Chasm.

Pass Turn.

-UL

No comments:

Post a Comment