Saturday, November 17, 2012

UL's Card Corner: Invader Parasite

His legs are pretty much Slurpee straws.
I hope that explains my dumb nickname.

Guess you could say I've been bitten by the Red bug.

It's no secret to anyone that this is clearly not my color of choice, and it still isn't, but I'm all the more well-rounded as a result. 

Invader Parasite, which I call "Slurpee Bug," is perhaps the most appropriately named card for the way in which this particularly dreadful EDH color has influenced my playing as of late.

Though I wish it were one less colorless to cast, Invader Parasite has been a pretty decent card, especially going downhill (on the play, making consistent landdrops) in my Fumiko the Lowblood EDH, which I play when I'm not trying to be serious about Magic.

What I've found though, is that Invader Parasite is great utility, and has influenced my opponents in great ways. Much of my metagame has been very resistant to the idea of Land Destruction, and as a result, everyone seems to want to go off with Extraplanar Lens, Cabal Coffers, and Gauntlet of Power to play more of the arms race game.

Annoyed with people wanting to play games fast, I've changed many of my decks to be full of goofy tricks, and Slurpee Bug is one of them.

Comparatively, this card is on par with the less expensive Avalanche Riders or the less utlity Acidic Slime, and in my mind, generates card advantage on the board the way that Control Magic effects do in blue. You go up a card, a removable dude, but your opponent goes down a potentially valuable land.

Additionally, you have the incentive and the option to go for pains and exile a basic land, which will really cripple mono-Green ramp and people like me who love to play Boundless Realms.

Worse comes to worse, they waste a piece of removal, so your Inferno Titan is free to throw the beats next turn.

Overall, I've find this card to be pretty good in most red decks, considering disrupting your opponent's mana curve and playing dudes are your only real shots to victory in mono-Red or dual-colored red decks.

The Slurpee Bug is a very downhill card though if you've got it in your opening hand. In the late game, it's essentially going to become a card that either gets rid of a land essential to your opponent's strategy like Cabal Coffers or it's not really going to do anything at all but delay a decent combo deck one turn.

Whatever the tempo, make sure you can adjust accordingly. If you can, then Slurpee Bug is gonna be sweet, and you'll be slurp-derp-ing your opponent's lands and life totals to victory. Every bit of damage counts in red, and he helps. So get in there with Invader Parasite.

Peace, Love, Land Drops.

-UL







1 comment:

  1. It's an extremely powerful Red value spell. Aggressive Red builds in EDH want as many of the Ankh effect as they can get. This is perhaps the worst one, but it is still pretty excellent. Compared to Zo-Zu it is slower and does less damage, but you get a stripmine stapled on. The way you solve the late game problem is to give a Sword and have it go to work.

    ReplyDelete