Thursday, February 20, 2014

Spin It Into Myth: Two Seldomly-Used Sorceries, A Super-Cheap Aura, and Planeswalker Cameo

Welcome back for another round of Spin It Into Myth, TGZ's #1 doctor recommended on-going source for Landdrops-tested sketchy tech that might have the right amount of skills to pay the bills.

We've got some results from our last installment, as well as some more goofy try-ables to chitchat about, so let's get started.

LAST TIME, ON SPIN IT INTO MYTH... 

There were a bunch of sketchy dudes we were trying out- Sawtooth Loon, Firefist Striker, Marton Stromgald, Nylea's Disciple, and Fleshwrither. So let's do a quick summary of the results.

Sawtooth Loon- The Daxos deck likes the option of having extra card draw every turn. But with a low creature count, this is definitely not necessarily the best support in design. Not a flop, but not a total success either.

Nylea's Disciple- I gained a crap ton of life off this card, but ended up cutting it in favor of more removal and to focus on a more Silvos-centric strategy. Ended up being a flop in interest of deck design.

Firefist Striker- What a beating. Almost always triggers Battalion, which helps to protect him and prevent our opponents from being able to solve the Animar damage problem with just one creature, and is a nice 2-drop that helps us get big with our Commander. More success than not.

Marton Stromgald- Better than I imagined, but still not great. Makes all of my mana dorks better.

Fleshwrither- Definitely a hit. Lots of access to tech, and though it's a little slow, it's not gonna get removed unless someone's playing overcautious. 

THE NEW STUFF

GG was the first to turn me onto playing singleton Snow-Covered basics as a way get more value out of Realms Uncharted.

Frankly, I wish I knew this existed before one of the guys in my group showed up with the ColdSnap duals and this card as a way to get ultra-mega card advantage for his five-color Reaper King deck.

I'm stoked for this, and I'm going to try it out in every deck. I might even start playing an extra Snow-Covered land. 

Yeah, I know this is a planeswalker, so it seems like a thing that shouldn't be getting tested here in the land of sketchy stuff.

However, I think there's more to discuss than you might think. Vraska isn't actually intimidating if we try to classify her as a "threat." Back when she was spoiled, GG and I had a discussion about it. I thought it was good. He thought it was suspect.

Truth is, Vraska is probably going to be a lot better classified as an answer. Her second ability is going to prove more useful than waiting to tick her up to 7 and trying to get lucky.

Still, I was able to get my hands on one recently, and I'm anxious to see how it's going to play in an environment where she can be heavily guarded. 

Now, Ground Rift is a little more under-the-radar.

Part of my Commander New Year's Resolution is to make a Boros deck that works in some way in the format.

It probably won't, but that doesn't mean I won't give it my best effort.

With access to Heroic, cheap Auras that can bounce themselves, and ways to generate tokens, Ground Rift seems to be a pretty nice little trick I can play to get my Storm on. Now, Heroic isn't going to trigger on Storm copies, but if our initial target is our own creature, we can still get a decent return on investment. Ground Rift and Astral Steel seem like the big winners in terms of Storm, but I will be playing almost all of them if I can. 

Last on the list is Flickering Ward. This is a card that's popped up in a lot of Bruna + Heroic decks as well as Anax and Cymede, which is the design I'm working on.

Protection on a Commander is usually huge, but isn't always a be-all investment. I like the flexibility I have with this. There are a couple of other nice ways to reap benefits off of cheap, re-castable Auras. Celestial Ancient and Sigil of the Empty Throne provide additional value on return as well. As long as I can keep instant-speed responses for protection not on my turn, Flickering Ward will help me cover the rest.

I've got plenty of other cool tech in these more eccentric decks I'm working on, and I hope to be able to share it in more vivid design soon.

Stack's back after a nice 3-week vacation. So be sure to check us out Saturday and see what we've got on tap. 

Pass it up.
-UL




No comments:

Post a Comment