Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Stack #33- Our Next Decks

It's Saturday Zoners, and the scent of new brews is in the air.

Commander 2013 has hit the proverbial "newsstands," and we're wafting a little bit of that creativity as part of this week's Stack.

We all have decks we want to build. It's the constant evolving process of Commander, sleeving and re-sleeving, cutting and tuning.

Today, VJ, GG, JC, and I have picked out some Commanders that we'd like to build around. Maybe it's a serious desire, maybe it's not. That's the process.


VENSER'S JOURNALIST'S PICK

Sen Triplets

Venser's Journalist- THUMBS UP
I've always wanted a mostly artifact-based deck, but more than that, I've wanted one that stresses control. I feel like this has a lot of potential to lay down a strict law and impose it like a well-oiled doomsday machine. I have a keen fascination with all of the Esper cards from the Alara block. They all seem to have great synergy and I love decks that make themselves better. It was either this or Sharuum; but, I think I've given my fair share of praise to the sphinx creature type in general.

Besides the fact that I do not own a Sen Triplets, the one thing that has kept me from building a deck around this card is the fact that it seems like one of those commanders that will never stay on the field more than one turn.

Johnny Confidant- THUMBS DOWN
At one point I sought after this card to build around because I wanted to play everything. I wanted to play multiple hands and utilize what I can to gain any advantage I could. This was during the early days of my EDH play and needless to say I was naive. I learned her secret to beating the color restrictions and figured that if i wanted to play anything, I should just play a five color deck.

The second thing about her is she's Boring. By which I mean she makes the game longer, plays the same two color changing permanents, and just gets all nosy in other peoples decks. Long games are fun if everyone is playing spells, not if one person is playing 25 min turns that just ruin everyone else's game.

Uncle Landdrops-  NOT SURE
I think the Triplets are a cool card with unrealistic aspirations. As Mob Boss Carmine Falcone tells Bruce Wayne: You always fear what you don't understand. This is the fundamental rule that applies to Legendary Creatures that have blocks of text and more specifically, involving taking things that don't belong to them. If Triplets is meant to be used as a removal target, you're paying too much. If this is meant as the primary component to deck strategy, it's going to get killed. I'm not personally a fan of cards that split this way. My particular instincts and playstyles don't tingle, so I don't imagine I'll want to play this card any time soon. That doesn't mean it's bad. I find it to be a trap card that forces design around GoodStuffs decks, of which most know I'm not a fan.

Grandpa Growth- THUMBS UP
This is a fine tier two control deck. I have played with and against ti a fair amount. The real advantage to me is the information advantage it gives you. Picking choice cards out of an opponent's hand is nice, but knowing what they are working with at all points is usually enough to win on its own.

I don't know if all this criticism is totally fair. Every control deck makes the game go longer, that is the point: leveraging time into the ability to make high impact plays later. I don't see how that makes every game one-sided or leads to people playing at what I would consider an unreasonably slow pace. Those sound like problems with the player not the deck.

GRANDPA GROWTH'S PICK
Animar, Soul of Elements

Grandpa Growth- THUMBS UP
I know it is lame to pick something from the Commander set, but I never bought one...weird, I know. I wrote this guy off for a long time because I was undervaluing two key aspects of the deck: Prot Black and White is kind of a big game and gives you a little bit of a delay while your opponent tries to come up with an answer (if they have one at all). Secondly, you can actually kill in this small window. The velocity of this deck is kind of incredible. It is capable of some very impressive (for a tier two deck) nut draws. It reminds me a lot of affinity. Each thing makes your next thing cheaper. You even have Mulldrifter as your Thoughtcast! And I am down with any deck that includes my boy Mulldrifter.

UL showcased this deck when he came to visit last Spring and I was impressed. I already have a similar Maelstrom Wanderer deck. You know: high threat density, very few off-theme cards, but if I ever ditch him, then I will be stealing this tech...which is actually publicly available so it isn't really theft or technology.

Johnny Confidant- THUMBS UP
Biased due to the fact that I run a fun and fairly strong Animar deck. I did the same thing when my Girlfriend bought me the Mirror Mastery deck from commander, looking at the three suggested generals I choose Riku due to a friend having a decklist to draw insperation from.

After about a year later of having deckbuilding issues i came back to Animar with great success, a lot of time and consideration went into focusing and "perfecting" the current list I have now as well as numerous assistance from UL, my Riku friend and many others on forums and Magic sites. Probably the most fun I have in any multiplayer game is playing with Animar.

Venser's Journalist- THUMBS UP
Like GG, I've never bought a Commander set either. I have seen my fair share played by others, however, and this commander is particularly nasty. The fact that it is protected from the majority of removal spells makes it a pain to deal with once people are popping out creatures for 6 less mana.

It's definitely big and stompy, and anyone playing it is bound to have a horde of cheap chumps to bring out big bruisers earlier than usual. If this card has taught me anything, it is the value of the card Unsummon, and others like it.

Uncle Landdrops- THUMBS UP
Well, we all know how I feel about this card. It's a house. One of my favorite qualities of this deck is the fact that there's so many different cards that can be played in it, and for the most part, it doesn't hinder the deck's knack for beating down. I've probably played 100 or so different creatures in this deck, and I'm constantly rotating cards. Unpredictability is one of the most underrated qualities in a Commander deck- even when you know what's coming.

JOHNNY CONFIDANT'S PICK

Johnny Confidant- THUMBS UP
Why Rakka Mar when there are many other powerful Mono-red Generals? It appeals to the Johnny in me far more than any other Legendary has. Mono red has so little appearence outside of Norin or Kiki-Jiki that bringing in a new red general could be fun and interesting.

I have been working on attempting a combo with her involving  Thornbite Staff (to untap her), sac and damage outlet, or a sac for mana and ETB damage combo. With new cards like Porphoros I can add another combo but with any combo deck people learn your pathway and shut you down.

I might be playing the Try-Hard route but i feel that Rakka Mar has some strong potential. She may not ever make the Tier list but her interesting ability and being virtually unplayed can give me an edge to sneak in with win cons while appearing less threatening.

Uncle Landdrops- THUMBS DOWN
I've played against a Rakka deck before. It wasn't tuned, and was taken apart shortly after, but I'm not sold, even in the more ideal situations.

Grandpa Growth - THUMBS DOWN
I always have this weird itch to try and make mono Red work in Commander. There is a simpler part of my mind that doesn't care about logic, or strategy or value. This silly alter ego wants to squeeze blood out of square shaped stones while pounding them into round holes. This little girl has been a part of many of those brews, but it's not the card I would want for my commander. Haste is very powerful, but the tokens alone aren't enough unless you are doing something cheeky with them. I am familiar with several of the Red combos, but I have never been impressed with them. Having more than two working parts without a reliable way to tutor for them doesn't really constitute a win condition in my mind.

Venser's Journalist- THUMBS UP
Despite the fact that I wholly agree with GG about this card, it's seemingly non-general composure, and red combos in general, I think that Johnny might be on to something here. For me, this card reeks of mayhem and a total troll mentality. It is a creature with haste that makes creatures with haste. Red mayhem could ensue, and although I don't really play enough red to name off all the silly cards that cause board-wide disruption, I see a Warp World and a Scrambleverse in this deck build.

Not that there will be a theme consistent with the flavor of the general, nor will the general necessarily play a huge part in the chaotic combo. But I do like this general based off the sheer will it takes to make this lowly card one's commander.


UNCLE LANDDROPS' PICK 

Uncle Landdrops-  THUMBS UP
I'm a toolbag because I'm going super-trendy, but whatever.

This is not a deck I'm probably going to make, but more than likely will be consulting for at least one design, maybe more.

There will be many ideas for how to build around Sydri. I'm partial to the idea of going creatureless. Definitely one of the coolest concepts for this kind of archetype, and I'm excited to be helping to craft this deck.

Johnny Confidant- THUMBS UP
She's Brutal, the potential, the ideas just flew through me with this girl. Strong potential for competitive decklists, while also flexible enough to have a lot of fun with non-artifacts in a more casual environment.

I think she is going to be all over the internet in the coming months with all kinds of wacky decklists and I can't wait to be a part of it!

Grandpa Growth- THUMBS DOWN
Trendy indeed. It is unclear to me why people think this card is good. Fun, sure. I don't know what this 'fun' you speak of is, but a lot of people seem to be having it. Is this better than Karn in Commander? Maybe? Probably? Does that matter at all? If you are more relevant than something that is irrelevant, does that make you relevant?

As a gimmick deck, this has got to be one of the least powerful options available. This is just so...fair. This is worse than a generic Esper control deck precisely because people will WANT to build around it. They will include all kinds of nonsense to 'fit the theme'. They will cut quality threats, counters, and disruption in order to play more weird stuff like Teferi's Puzzle Box or Portcullis. The only strategy variant that I can see being useful is prison/lock. Who doesn't want to get beaten to death by a Winter Orb. Isn't that what fun is all about?

Venser's Journalist- THUMBS UP
This card does a couple things. First, it makes Karn, Silver Golem look like a schmuck (which he is for the most part). Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, this has "gizmo" deck written all over it. What more could you want than a deck full of silly rocks that come to life and have Deathtouch and Lifelink? So long, Vault of the Archangel. If there's a creature that can do it cheaper, you bet I'd rather have that than a silly land.

No comments:

Post a Comment