Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Spin It Into Myth: Monstrous Results From The Theros Bargain Bin

Happy Tuesday Zoners-

I got pretty busy today, but I wanted to give you an update from our last installment of Spin. So let's get it started.

COLOSSUS OF AKROS

I'm not going to tell everyone to put this into their decks. Our big soldier Golem friend needs big mana, tutelage, potentially ways to cheat him into play.

In my Braids deck, Colossus really thrives. It's a defense when my opponents have a bigger fish to play, and it's another similar late gamer like its Brother from another Mirrodin, Darksteel Colossus.

Unlike it's kin though, CoA plays a lot more like Ulamog's Crusher once Monstrous. Its indestructibility and huge swing ensure that you're going to eat most of your opponent's biggest threats, putting your opponent on the defense.

All in all, it's a big, goofy fun card, which is an exception to most cards I like.

GIFT OF IMMORTALITY

Gift of Immortality was the initial inspiration for a Saffi Eriksdotter deck I just finished recently. I was looking at Theros spoils and thought I'd be able to create a way to make an infinite combo with this and her, but it wasn't the case.

Obvious flavor fouls and rules misinterpretations aside, this card is a house. We all know how good ETB triggers are, and how much card advantage is generated by the Black Reanimator decks.

GoI can actually be worse. In multiplayer, cards like Sakura-Tribe Elder can provide such an incredible mana advantage that it's almost insurmountable. Combined with useful sac outlets, this is a total house. With Greater Good and a big dude, it's extra cards on your opponent's turn.

It protects threats and forces so much removal if it doesn't. Seriously, you want to play this card. This Aura is too good to avoid.

PROGNOSTIC SPHINX

Last card on the docket today is another new Braids addition. Prognostic Sphinx.

One of the common issues I had in my deck was the space between Merfolk Looters and 6-cost flyers like Consecrated Sphinx. It wasn't necessarily a curve problem as much as it was trying to find something I'd want to hard cast in a worst-case situation.

I really liked this guy out of the gate. All of his abilities have been really handy in key situations with this deck. The card advantage has been really useful in tight situations later in the game where my deck is the threat and I need a counterspell to answer.

I've made some pretty nifty plays with him too. Cloning him with a Quicksilver Gargantuan has so far been my favorite. There's nothing like having a bigger version of this card, as well as multiple scry triggers.

Overall, solid card. Definitely a workhorse that can really mind the gap, if your deck needs one.

The cool thing about these cards is that they're all cheap, available, and probably looking for a good home. So if you find a few sitting in trade binders, snag 'em. These puppies deserve a good home.

Sorry about the mix-up last Thursday. Looks like Johnny's got his new segment ready to roll out, so be sure to check that out this week. I don't think it'll disappoint.

Until next time, don't let Nick Cage talk you into stealing the Declaration of Independence.

Choose your own Adventure.
-UL


No comments:

Post a Comment