Saturday, November 30, 2013

Stack #36- Built Four Tough

Like your average Model T, some Magic Cards are also built with midrange resistance.

This week, the gang and I are saluting some of our favorite creatures with 4 toughness.

So without further ado, let's get to it. Your pokemon journey awaits!



THIS IS THE STACK!

VENSER'S JOURNALIST'S PICK

Venser's Journalist- THUMBS UP
When I first used this card in a deck, it was a kind of "gag" backup plan for Isperia. Although this card means nothing against most goblin and elf decks, it is still a fun card to pull out when some one pops off a Garruk Wurm-for-each-land move.

The Godhead of Awe for me represents the old riddle of "Would you rather have a button to make you fifteen percent stronger or one to make everyone else twenty five percent weaker?"

Uncle Landdrops-  THUMBS UP
I'm not an Azorius man, but this is a card that is on my radar. There are a lot of cool things that can be done with layer effects, and this is a very interesting card to combo with. If you're playing Humility, having another copy is solid, and it has some promising Azorius game-stall power with counter back up. If you want the only creatures on the battlefield, Godhead can team up with Elesh Norn.

Grandpa Growth- THUMBS DOWN
Haven't played it. Have played against it a limited amount. I don't generally build decks that want this. The previous information leads me to believe that this card just isn't that useful. It is powerful, for sure, but I don't know why I would rather have this than a more 'pure' form of board control like Wrath. Also, a restrictive casting cost that necessitates play in two-color decks, but makes it difficult to cast on time in three-color decks. Not as appealing as some other options from this cycle.

GRANDPA GROWTH'S PICK
Grandpa Growth- THUMBS UP
I am not sure this is my favorite, but it is certainly the one that I play the most in Commander. This is a kind of offbeat topic, so I went through the Gatherer list of all the four toughness creatures just to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. Not much to say about this guy. Format staple, solid removal, solid threat, provides card advantage, and tempo, basically does it all.  I think my true favorite would probably be Penumbra Spider, but that is really only because of Pauper Cube...where it single-handedly defeats 95% of creatures and removal.

Venser's Journalist- THUMBS UP
Although I haven't used this card much, I will say that it is an excellent removal card. It's more annoying than a clone, but gives you more of an advantage, assuming you are the one playing the Duplicant. Mix with some flicker effects, and you have a pretty good removal engine!

Uncle Landdrops- THUMBS UP
Ol' Dupey and Treasure Mage are buddies in most of the cases where I'm playing him, which is Braids and Animar, so I never actually cast him or drawn him, and it's been a long time since I actually hard cast this thing. Everything I do with this card is basically unfair, and I think the art properly foreshadows the criminality being able to tutor, cheat, and proceed to further card advantage atrocities on the board. Basically, Duplicant is one of the main platforms for my re-election campaign when my term is up as the Mayor of Value Town. I hope I can count on your vote.

UNCLE LANDDROPS' PICK 

Uncle Landdrops-  THUMBS UP
I love Wolf tokens. They've always been a favorite of mine, and Wolfbriar is one of the reasons why. This is a card that came out shortly after I started playing, and I love every part of it. The art is dope, even though it really doesn't show you how many actual wolves you're going to get, and it doesn't look like a creature. The power and curve that scales with multikicker is appropriate, exciting, and a fun card to play. Despite the fact that Avenger of Zendikar did outshine it, even in its own Limited environment, I still rock this card. It's also super cheap to buy if you're pinching pennies.

Grandpa Growth- THUMBS UP
This card is a pretty huge beating. Green decks have a pretty easy time making excess mana and it is awesome to be able to spend that on threats like this. I am a big fan of 'army in a can' creatures and of high mana efficiency. This is the perfect marriage of both and one of the cards that pulls me into playing Green, but is still somewhat under the radar. This doesn't get the same kind of recognition as Avenger of Zendikar, but is mostly just as good.

Venser's Journalist- THUMBS UP
Old Wolfie is one of my favorite "kicker" cards of all, because if you're playing Green properly, there is no reason for you not to have ten wolves on the field by turn six. The creature itself is not terribly impressive, but his pets make him a good one.

As always, feel free to tell us tales of great victories and zany experiences with the stuff we talk about here on The Stack.

Til next time!

-UL/GG/VJ

No comments:

Post a Comment