Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Spin It Into Myth: New Year, New Decks, New Cards To Test

Welcome to another Spin It Into Myth!

Since we don't have any cards out there on the Spin front, I thought it'd be the right time to do that.

For those that don't keep track, this past Sunday marked TGZ's first whole year on the blog-o-sphere. And, since I'm not one to talk about nostalgia or the first post I wrote, we're gonna move forward.

It's a new year for TGZ, so it's time to get some old cards out there and spin a new story.

GIDEON, CHAMPION OF JUSTICE
We're starting out "strong" with a P-Dubs.

Before Gatecrash spoils, I was moderately stoked to see Gideon down in Ravnica going to battle with a Boros Signet on him.

After he was spoiled I have to admit his lack of redness was disappointing. And that was before I even got to what he's supposed to be doing. Also fairly lackluster.

However, I've let my emotions go now, so it's go time with Gideon. I want to see what he's really gonna do.

I've got a new mono-White deck that's rocking quite a few planeswalkers, so it's put up or shut up time for the so-called Champion of Justice.

SKYSHIP WEATHERLIGHT
One of the guys in my group plays this in Captain Sisay, and it's awesome. Often, it leaves me pretty jealous.

This is one of the funnest and coolest ways to create value. It's got a lot of serious nostalgia and potential to create card advantage in many different decks.


So naturally, I bought a copy. Unfortunately, I haven't found any place where it could be half as sweet than in Sisay, so I've stayed away from it. Until now.

I've got a deck where I think it's going to work. I know, you're probably finding my ominous-ness and generalizing about future decks annoying, but surprise is an angle I'm going to work now.

All I have to say is, I won't be making this card half as thematically cool as having Sisay go get it, but I'm gonna get close. Real close.

SHINEN OF LIFE'S ROAR
If there's one thing I've gotten better at in getting older, it's paying attention sometimes to the weird ways that words and people and things work their way into your life.

Many wise philosophers have said coincidence isn't a thing, and so I'm listening.

The past couple weeks SoLR has appeared in my life twice. The first time, I used it to win a game of Wizard's Tower.

If you don't know what this is, here's the education. Wizard's Tower: A Magic Format.

After the game, I didn't think much about it. Then the other day I was browsing lists on TappedOut, looking for new tech to re-tool Yeva, and there it was. So that's where it's going to be very soon, along with a Wasteland Viper and possibly a Rofellos.

NEVERMORE
There's always time for cheekiness. This is also going in my new mono-White deck with Gideon.

I've been looking for cool, proactive ways to stop people from playing a card if I know they have something in their hand, or if I know what they're going to go get with a tutor for a situation.

We're taking this for a test spin. I've heard this is a pretty good toolbox card in Zur decks, and against people who like to play Relentless Rats or Shadowborn Apostle.

I don't think it's that narrow of a metagame choice. It feels like a slightly more solid Meddling Mage, and it can hose Commander dependent decks pretty hard.

TAWNOS'S COFFIN
The Coffin got cut pretty quickly from my Yeva deck, but I'm not down on it.

It's a pretty heavy card if you're looking to play it and activate in the same turn, which is why I didn't like it in Yeva. Too much investment.

However, this something I see that could be pretty great in a blink deck.

Wink. Wink.
MASTER WARCRAFT
This shouldn't leave too much to the imagination, so I won't.

I am working on a Boros deck. It'll be my first one since Razia, which was my second actual EDH deck.

It's still in the preliminary stages, but I know we will need to be Masters of Warcraft once the Legion is fully assembled, so this card got an early invite to whatever it is I'll be doing with Boros.

Hopefully the Weatherlight will bring friends to make this interesting.

I'd like to thank my Zoners and my TGZ staff for helping me stay motivated with TGZ through the last year. It's been a blast.

Let's keep the party going. Or start a new one.



Sure. But I'm not inviting Tracy. I want you guys to show up.


As always with Spin, I'd love to know what you know about these cards in EDH, whether you've played them, want to play them, have ideas for them. We still have a Comments section. So don't be scared.

Happy New TGZ Year To Everyone. Keep doing what you do best- not playing Mimeoplasms, making Land Drops, and beating the tar out of your friends at the kitchen table.

Cause we've got another year of that, and I'm ready to go.
-UL



2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first year! Thanks for the shoutout, I cant wait to see what kind of Weatherlight package you are bringing to the table. Its a great card to build around, imo. Shinen seems great too, do you think any of the other Channel cards are worth a slot? Its a fairly cool mechanic but they mostly seem lackluster to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    Good question. Channel's cool but definitely goofy. In a quick rundown of the list, I like Arashi, and by extension, Jiwari. That's about as deep as it gets outside of Shinen, barring Spirit Tribal or something goofy like that.

    Arashi feels pretty playable main deck, especially because he's a tutorable Hurricane with Time of Need or Captain Sisay, and he meets my CMC equals P/T rule. Channel makes him a lot better in the deck than as a Commander, but I like the idea of playing him as a General too. It's not something that I'd encourage trying for the everyday deckbuilder. He's a long-term project.

    I could see Jiwari also being successful in lists like Zirilan with Dragons, Norin decks where you're probably just killing an opponent's guys to move away blockers while you beat them down with their own dudes, or Some combination of Spirit Tribal. Ruric Thar might like him too, considering that he's a creature spell that can mow down chump blocks, is tutorable, and won't be too terrible considering the pesky color cost.

    Again, there's still better options. He's hard for me to justify considering that most burn spells you'd want to hit opponents too.

    ReplyDelete