Thursday, August 8, 2013

Spin It Into Myth: Cashing In On Value

Happy Norse Thunder God Day Zoners!

You got Landdrops again, and we're gonna do some spinning today.

Like most days, the theme is value, and I've got a few pieces of tested tech I'd like to share.

Time to dig in.

Smallpox
Smallpox has floated in and out of competitive play and into Group Slug and Discard in EDH. That probably comes as no surprise.

Recently, I "found" a way to leverage its value as cheap removal in Dollar General. My Glissa, the Traitor deck gave this card a nice little home. In Multiplayer, the value on this card is pretty good, netting me about 2-3 artifacts.

It also provides some nice synergy, acting as a discard outlet. The recursion and card advantage overall is so versatile I don't have a lot of trouble satisfying the requirements. If I have artifact land in play, I can sac that or pitch it. If I have a Mimic Vat or an artifact creature out, I don't "lose" anything. It's just been good.
 
Credit Voucher
I forget how I actually stumbled on this card, but I had such a great feeling about it I got two copies.

Right now, both are seeing play in Hidetsugu and Glissa T's, and I love drawing it.

Say what you will about its "cuteness." Both of these decks really like having access to a couple extra cards a game.

With Hidetsugu, it synchs up well with the "Wheel" package I have, and allows me the opportunity to get an extra Wheel if I need it.

In both decks though, this gives me the opportunity to try and dig into answers or pieces that I need at instant speed. And Glissa can recur it.

Most of the time, I can afford to pitch most of my hand to draw new stuff. Though I can't guarantee I'll get all new or necessary stuff, I like my chances.

This card would probably be pretty good in other combo decks that are looking for specific pieces.

Geth's Grimoire
Soon enough, the sharpie will be coming out, and I will effectively changing its name to "Greel's Grimoire."

That's just how good it's been for me and the ol' Spellshaper. The Grimoire provides such a great little two-card engine you really don't need to do anything else other than figure out how you're gonna win the game.

Even activating Greel for just 2-3 cards is enough value in a turn. The randomness ensures adequate disruption and leaves you with mana open to play threats.

Scuttlemutt
I still scroll through a lot of lists on TappedOut, and Scuttlemutt was a gem I found in an Animar list late one night.

After playing him a couple times now, I can honestly say this guy is straight tech. Though slightly more expensive, he's better than the MMD's (Myr Mana Dorks) I'm already playing, and he prevents opponents from being cheeky and playing chumps when they're facing lethal from Animar.

Oh, and if he's not doing that, he's better mana fixing, and I get to do it all after I cast him for free.

It was just too much value to pass up. So don't let Animar leave home without his favorite Scarecrow pal.

Until then, stay legit. In fact stay be too legit to quit.

And then don't quit. Stay Sweet.

Hot Rod - Stay Sweet

-UL

No comments:

Post a Comment