Saturday, February 9, 2013

UL's Card Corner: Gemstone Caverns

Zoners, I take what I can get in EDH- which usually isn't much.

I even lose a majority of dice rolls. Yeah, I'm a bit of a scrub, I guess. Call me what you will.

However, when such is the case, and I mean losing dice rolls, one must learn to adapt- and though I haven't really adapted that much, Gemstone Caverns is a start.

There's a lot of text here, which is perhaps one of the reasons I don't see this card get played in EDH.

But it's not that hard. Go slow, take your time, or whatever. Cause it's worth the time and worth a slot in your deck.

For me, this card is good and scales at getting better. For non-green decks, this is a pretty great way to get out ahead of the curve. In multiplayer, this card is bananas because the odds of you playing first decrease, and it doesn't have much blowback other than sending a card away that you're gonna draw on your turn anyway.

I had a copy of this card a long time ago. Recently, I stumbled on it again, looking for Hidetsugu Stuff, but I decided that the extra card was way more necessary than having a land in play, so it isn't for every deck. By that, I guess I just mean red decks. Cause they can't draw cards or benefit the way other colors can.

Currently though, The Cave is in my Animar Deck, and a future Captain Sisay brew that is happening when I retire Chorus of the Conclave soon. Cause there just isn't room in town for two 40+ Dude Decks. More spoils on Animar soon.

The Caverns is definitely the best in decks where you want to pump something out quick. A Phyrexian Arena, Turn 1 Rampant Growth, Sol Ring into whatever you want.


The key to the Caverns though is secrecy. Remember- the more your opponents know about it, the more likely they are to put it in their decks and use theirs as removal or spite.

It is Legendary, after all.

But to me, the luck counters are worth it.

Well that's all I got for today.

Tomorrow, Grandpa Growth's S^3 article will mark TGZ's 100th article since I began this little journey last August. I've been really fortunate to have Venser's Journalist and Grandpa and a place for you readers to enjoy our little corner of the Internet, and I'm grateful for that.

Thanks for reading, and here's to 100 more.

Four More Years!

-UL

No comments:

Post a Comment