Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Building Rogue In Commander

Haven't done a big picture post in a little while, so I thought I'd get there this week with one of my favorite topics- Rogue decks.

I like to define this archetype a little different.

Most people I talk with seem to have opposing views on what Rogue decks are, so I'd like to clear up some of the misconceptions.

Unlike Voltron, Control, or Group Hug/Slug, Rogue decks aren't defined by what's been proven to be effective strategy. Instead, they tend to go off grid, which offers less predictability.

Because its primary measure, predictability, is more of a perception and experience level question, defining Rogue decks can be difficult.

Ultimately, I think that when you see a successful Rogue deck though, you will know it, and you will then be able to successfully understand what it is, what they do, and how to build your own.

Put simply, I think Rogue decks will strike a balance between being effective and successfully implementing a certain consistency of cards within your deck, the kind which most people can't predict or expect perhaps the first time they play against it.

What I mean by this is that they won't be able to predict what you're going to do based solely on your general, and as the game progresses, the head scratching will generally continue. Some might believe this to be gimmicky- and part of that is true. But hey, out of gimmicks, come themes, happy accidents, strange all-stars.

The whole idea of building Rogue is to subvert the expectations people have about your playing styles at the table, managing a deck that makes people dread the cards in your hand and the ones left in your deck. In this way, it's sort of like control, except instead of counterspells, they don't know what kinds of cards are gonna hit the table.

My first successful Rogue deck wasn't actually a pure Rogue build. It was an Oros, the Avenger deck designed with the intent to recover quickly from its Land Destruction spells. The deck played some goofy tech, including Myr and a slightly above-average count of mana rocks to ramp into LD spells so that your opponents were constantly taking damage and you were kicking them in the face while they were trying to recover from gutting their resources.

It was a pretty cool deck, and the first one that I was ever truly "proud of," really. This is mostly because it was hard to predict. Even when you knew what the deck was going to do, there was really not a whole lot people could do to stop it once an LD spell got cast. And even now, I haven't really seen a lot people try to do anything with Oros, before or after he got two new Commanders in his colors.

Now, I know I've been fairly "loosey goosey" with the definition of Rogue decks. Maybe some will argue that this isn't necessarily Rogue.

However, I don't think playing Rogue means you have to play bad cards intentionally. It's true that you are intentionally swaying yourself from playing some obviously powerful cards at times. But this is seen more as a sacrifice, for both fun and the challenge of making less optimal cards better. To me, that is definitely part of the spirit of Rogue EDH.

This is definitely the quality that draws me to Rogue decks. I like challenges, subverting expectations, and happy accidents.

So how do we do this?

Research! To me that's the beginning. Cause it doesn't matter how many cards you know or you don't know. It's all about finding the right cards at the right time.

Through research, we find a point where a few cards and our Commander intersect in a nice Venn Diagram sort of way. This is the Inspiration for the deck.

I know I've used this word before, but I just believe it to always be universally true- If you're not inspired to build an EDH deck, then don't waste your time. Don't force a bunch of cards together just to play. Cause then you look like an asshole with a pile of cards in your hand.

Just take it from Liam Neeson. Pun intended.




At this point, the only real difference between building a normal generic strategy deck and going Rogue is that you've found cards off the grid, and they don't feel forced into the deck because they're "Staples" or whatever.

These cards will be perhaps from a less popular angle, or lesser knowledgeable place, while also serving to fit your needs effectively in your local metagame. In order to find your Rogue build successful, it HAS to be precise in this regard, or else it won't work.

Most Rogue decks will more than likely be one-trick ponies. Especially cause it's new to you, and because you'll be concentrating more resources into areas that probably you wouldn't normally put into your decks otherwise.

My best advice here is to perceive it as a testing phase with the deck. Try to practice with as few people as possible if you need to want to keep your friends surprised. Maybe play some goofy Brazilian dudes on Cockatrice.

This way you can better gauge what's working and what isn't. For example, when I built Oros, I wanted to ensure that my opponents had no ways of saving themselves from the LD, so I made the majority of my LD spells sacrifice effects. One of the best parts of the deck was that cards like Hokori, Dust Drinker and Stoneshaker Shaman were creatures that gave them the feel-bads when they had to spend a Doom Blade or a Wrath to get rid of them. And no one was looking to really kill the Myrs.



These cards that were effective parts of my plan but annoying to play around were really great because they could clear the way for late-game Oros, Inferno Titan, or Desolation Angel.

Since this is new ground, these are the kinds of things you have to consider. Asking yourself, "Well, if I'm not playing draw spells, or my deck doesn't draw that many cards, how do I stop an opponent who does?"

These questions always have an answer. Magic, though some may criticize for being poorly designed, especially as far as Commander goes, really does provide ways for you to control your opponent. You've just got to find them.

To me, that's what Rogue is all about.

My Oros, the Avenger deck list can be found under our decks tab if you're looking to see what I mean. Also, if you'd like help with building decks under the radar, or you want to angrily debate what I think the definition of Rogue is, that's what the comment section's for. So do it.

I always welcome constructive shitstorms.

Pass.

-UL



 








No comments:

Post a Comment