Tuesday, February 12, 2013

UL's Better Deckbuilding: Animar, Soul of Elements

Yo Zoners!

Last week, when I was busy not posting, I was actually building and testing a bunch of new stuff.

My new Animar deck is one of the new EDH decks I've decided to roll out here.

The inspiration was nonsense. Utter nonsense. And out of crack in the primordial blatherings of the Earth's Crust, my Animar deck got put together.

 We've got gimmicks, as always, and Animar's is pretty simple.

 No Frills, No Complications- Just Dudes.

Look Ma! NO INSTANTS! I can already imagine the angry stare I'm getting from Grandpa Growth, because he'll be very disappointed, but I can't win 'em all.

And like girls, Animar just wants to have fun. 

So with bad Cynid Lauper lyrics in our heads, let's pop the hood on this bad mamma-jamma.

Dudes
1    Acidic Slime
1    Archwing Dragon
1    Azure Mage
1    Birds of Paradise
1    Bloodbraid Elf
1    Bloom Tender
1    Brutalizer Exarch
1    Civic Wayfinder
1    Clone
1    Copper Myr
1    Deadeye Navigator
1    Duplicant
1    Elgaud Shieldmate
1    Elvish Visionary
1    Eternal Witness
1    Etherium-Horn Sorcerer
1    Farhaven Elf
1    Fathom Mage
1    Fertilid
1    Fierce Empath
1    Garruk's Horde
1    Garruk's Packleader
1    Indrik Stomphowler
1    Inferno Titan
1    Instigator Gang
1    Iron Myr
1    Krosan Tusker
1    Lotus Cobra
1    Mercurial Chemister
1    Merfolk Looter
1    Mold Shambler
1    Maelstrom Wanderer
1    Mulldrifter
1    Oracle of Mul Daya
1    Phyrexian Ingester
1    Phyrexian Metamorph
1    Pyreheart Wolf
1    Sakashima the Impostor
1    Sakura-Tribe Elder
1    Shardless Agent
1    Silver Myr
1    Solemn Simulacrum
1    Sphinx of Uthuun
1    Steel Hellkite
1    Sylvan Ranger
1    Sylvok Replica
1    Taurean Mauler
1    Thought Courier
1    Tidespout Tyrant
1    Trygon Predator
1    Voidmage Husher
1    Woodfall Primus

Obviously, we have a lot of different kinds of creatures in this deck, which makes this deck pretty hilarious. The thing I find funny is that I get to play mana dorks because they provide additional value with Animar in play, basically providing ramp and making creatures cheaper.

A few of my favorites in the deck so far have been Tidespout Tyrant, Shardless Agent, Etherium Horn-Sorcerer, Voidmage Husher, and Archwing Dragon. With any one of these cards, you're getting a lot of value on the table, the most punishing being Tidespout.

Voidmage and Archwing are great because you can cast them and cast them to pump Animar, or you can use them to get utility or damage through the air.

And as a result of the number of dudes that are in this deck, Cascade becomes incredibly absurd. Etherium Horn-Sorcerer, once bounced and re-casted, can put up to 4 counters on Animar, making him basically 5 to bounce and cast.

Land
1    Ancient Ziggurat
1    Arid Mesa
1    Breeding Pool
1    Cascade Bluffs
1    Desolate Lighthouse
1    Evolving Wilds
1    Fire-Lit Thicket
1    Flooded Grove
7    Forest
1    Gemstone Caverns
1    Hinterland Harbor
8    Island
1    Llanowar Reborn
1    Misty Rainforest
7    Mountain
1    Rootbound Crag
1    Scalding Tarn
1    Steam Vents
1    Stomping Ground
1    Sulfur Falls
1    Terramorphic Expanse
1    Verdant Catacombs

Mana base is pretty simple here. Ancient Ziggy and Gemstone Caverns are about the only surprises, and I've already made my case for Gemstone. Ancient Ziggy's basically a Command Tower in this deck.

Artifact
1    Conjurer's Closet

So only one artifact. The fucking Closet. Cause we're real OGs here. I had Cloudstone Curio, but didn't like it because I have too many artifact dudes. 

Enchantment
1    Fires of Yavimaya

Fires could come out, but I've never really seen a better place for it to be, so it's here for now. Haste could be relevant in this deck at some point, and now that I have a Wanderer in the deck, I'm curious to see how good it is.

Sorcery
1    Genesis Wave
1    Praetor's Counsel
1    Primal Surge

So I've only got a couple non-permy spells here, but they're game-winners. Primal Surge is made possible my the 97% composition of permanents in this deck, and Praetor's Counsel lets me get back my Genesis Wave after I've cast it into oblivion. Super-sick.

Planeswalker
1    Sarkhan Vol

I've never really had decent success with this card, though I really like it. Again, it's like Fires of Yavimaya. I get haste, and that's relevant, maybe.


So the plan with this deck.

The way that I like to play it is pretty simple. You want to cast Animar Turn 3, so do what you gotta do. Sometimes that means casting an Iron Myr or a Birds of Paradise beforehand- but don't do that unless you have another little guy to cast once Animar's in play.

The key is value. The best opening hands have 3 different color lands (you know what I mean- I know all lands are colorless) and 4 dudes that are five CMC or less.

Eventually, you want to find some of the dudes I previously mentioned. The more dudes you can cast with Animar, the faster you can get through the deck.

Obviously, this deck doesn't like Wraths, but that's okay. it can rebuild. Unless you're playing a serious game, which I don't recommend with this deck, you still have Praetor's Counsel as an out, and Eternal Witness to get back G-Wave or a relevant utility guy.

Honestly though, with Gatecrash, this deck actually got quite a bit of power, and it might even be better than Vig, cause it's quicker.

Then again, Vig's probably playing a Counter or two.

All in all, this deck is still in progress, but it's already a lot more fleshed out than Hidetsugu, so I don't expect much change here.

As always, I'm sure there will be someone asking me why I'm not playing Avenger of Zendikar or Palinchron or whatever, but that's still a relevant question, so feel free to comment and ask me what's up. I'm good at getting back to people. And I don't bite.

Until then,
May the topdeck be ever in your favor.

-UL

No comments:

Post a Comment