Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Command Zone OG's #5: Axis of Grixis

Heya Zoners! Hope your Tuesday's going well.

We're back today with another installment of Command Zone OG's, our Commander Familarity Initiative here on The General Zone to educate and keep fresh all those decks and strategies that come from the minds of deckbuilders everywhere.

The topic is Red, Blue, and Black- The scary, controlling colors of Grixis. so let's get going.

ON THE RISE
The latest TappedOut trend I predicted has been slightly affirmed in the last couple weeks, with the emergence of Grenzo lists.

This is something I'm happy about, because of the uniqueness of Grenzo, and his ability to fit into some of the pre-existing Goblin Tribal decks people wanted to play with Black-Red Wort.

With a scalable power, and a longer game, Grenzo is a great addition to the Rakdos guild as it tries desperately to interact in our format. While the design of this card is strange, it is chock full of so many neat things I have a hard time criticizing it.

Most of the lists I looked at were focused on scry and Goblin Tribal. Going Aggro, getting Grenzo out, and recurrable beats. I'm not sure if it works in practical application, but I'm totally okay with trying new things. Glad to see other people doing the same.


ALWAYS AROUND

Looking back at my Commander 2013 review, if anyone cares, I talked mad crap about this card- and that's not likely to change here.

I've now played against this deck twice, and it's silly and annoying. Perhaps one of the most unexciting decks I've played against in recent memory. One of the players even admitted, "I don't know how I'm supposed to win."

My problem with this deck is that it's just too full of cards aligned with trying to make the game go too fast that it can't catch up, which creates an unnecessary Kingmaker-style deck.

Aside from not being a Wizard, and it's ridiculous 2/4 power, this card is just a can of groans and moans every time it hits the table.

UNDER THE RADAR
Last, we've got some Dimir action with Grimgrin.

This is a card I've been talking crap about since it came out in Innistrad, back when TGZ was just me and GG talking spoilers and playing 1v1 in our apartments 3-5 times a week.

However, I've actually changed my tune and attitude towards the UB monster. Mostly because his combo potential is absurd. Using and abusing the Zombie tribal's penchant for reanimation and card advantage, the Grimgrin deck can not only tutor and create infnite loops, but also protect them with access to blue. The redundancy of Zombies and ability of substitutes also makes winning a lot easier than Oona.

This is a deck I have yet to see in complete optimal form, but I have played against a pretty good one in my metagame. Cards like Shepherd of Rot, Gempalm Polluter, and Undead Gladiator have insane power, and with Corpse Harvester, it's not difficult to get what you want. And with Living Death, Patriarch's Bidding, and even Living End, it's not difficult to get all of it back.

Have you guys seen Grenzo in action? Have you built or witnessed the wrath of Grimgrin? Have you been as utterly annoyed with Nekusar nonsense? Let me know in the comments below!

Pass Turn.
-UL




1 comment:

  1. This list is a little out of date but here is where I went with old Grammy:

    http://togedher.blogspot.com/2011/11/commandercast-crossover-grimgrin-v.html?spref=tw

    ReplyDelete