Thursday, June 26, 2014

Card Corner: Scourge of the Throne

Heya Zoners!

I'm back on this glorious Thor's Day to bring you a card from Conspiracy I feel is worthy of the Mjolnir-wielder himself- the beat-me-over-the-head mythic dragon, Scourge of the Throne, or as I like to call it, "Scourge of Dethrone."

While it's probably no surprise that this card represents a colossal amount of damage, I find there's sometimes a huge discrepancy between the card's rules text and in-game practical application.

This was something I thought could very well be the case with Magic's latest Dragon. It's a strange phenomenon, but with so many variables, including design and playgroup, and perception of threat, you never know how something is going to perceived. In my head I refer to this as the "Odric Glasses," a strange set of lenses that seem to force us to want to spend removal on cards that feel more than dangerous.

Surely, this is something to spend removal on, no holds barred, especially if your opponent is winning on the bottom line, in terms of life total. The combination of Dethrone, evasion, and an extra attack phase is the proverbial "Spicy Meatball" symbol of quality, and in the two games in which I've played it, Scourge of Dethrone has been the MVP of these matches, keeping me in games when I'm 10-20 life points behind, and in this small not-even sample size, even turning games around.

Now, I haven't had a chance to put him out in multiplayer, where the removal will be plenty, but 1v1 matchups have really given him the extra turn necessary to attempt an attack. Still, with protection, haste, or a combination of the two, Scourge of Dethrone could make a case for being one of the better aggressive Dragons in the format.

I know I'm still not telling you guys what you don't know, but if there was any doubt, or apprehension about its $4 price tag, consider this the endorsement you need to get yourself a copy and Aggro your opponents into submission.

I know my opinion isn't the only one, so share your thoughts if you've gotten a chance to see Scourge in action.

Pass.
-UL

No comments:

Post a Comment