Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Twenty Instants Under 25 Cents

Heya Zoners, it's your pal Landdrops here with a pretty exciting list of budget goodies.

This is gonna be a big one, so let's just skip the pleasantries and get right into this super-saving budget wonderland.

20. Swell of Courage
I'm aware of just how many budget blue cards are better than this, and didn't make the cut. Negate, Dispel, Boomerang, Inspiration.

Let's just say this is a card that's been on my radar during my on-again-off-again struggle in building Daxos.

This was going to be Stir the Pride, but I like this a little better. Like the ever-popular theme amongst secret tech that I own, some cards are really bad until you read the penultimate line.

Every other card I've seen with Reinforce is terrible. This card is still pretty "meh" too, but it does provide flexibility. And really, Daxos only needs a couple counters to make sure he doesn't die.

19. Overrule
Overrule is a new card I've reluctantly accepted into my decks. I don't consciously try to overexaggerate, so I won't. This card is pretty adequate, and I wish some other pure blue X counterspells would give adequate incentive to tap more mana like this.

Can you imagine Condescend with Scry X instead? Jeez Louise we'd have a big game.

Overall, this is actually a surprising skill test if you're locked in a counter-war, and a nice preventative measure that can add a little extra value late in the game if you get behind, like control decks often do.

I think I might've had some previous slander for this card, so I'll just go ahead apologize to VJ and the rest of his Azorius Lawmakers. I'm ready to assimilate.

18. Sprout Swarm
The Big Bopper for Pauper. One of the cards that singlehandedly saved me from extra Ulamog's Crusher death and effectively stalled the game.

Convoke and Buyback should not be on the same card, but it's awesome that they are.

In other EDH variants, I'm not sure exactly how good Sprout Swarm is. However, if you have Aura Shards, Cathar's Crusade, or other relevant "I don't care what creature enters the battlefield, just as long as it does" kinda cards, then here's a nice gift.

Here's a Saproling generator. You can either receive this gift as Christmas come early, or Arbor Day come super late. Up to you.

17. Voyage's End
When they add an already good mechanic onto something that's already appropriately costed and good to play, I sometimes have to resist the urge to question it.

That was the case with Voyage's End. I've already put it on an Isochron Scepter, in case you were asking, and it is as tasty as the moment you realized it was only 1U, and you could put this on an Isochron Scepter.

Braids' Blueberry Bounce House hasn't been same since. The Theros stuff that she got with scry, including this and Prognostic Sphinx, have generated astronomical card advantage. I'm very happy with the results.

16. Signal the Clans
I was as shocked as you were to see a Green and Red card make the list.

Unfortunately, this card didn't do the horrendous kinds of beatdowns I thought it might in Standard as early as this year, but it still has a few more miles to go. Getting Gods seems pretty good.

Quick tangent. I love the artwork on this. Battlehorns are always appropriate signals, and the color palette is pretty nice. Dave Kendall should be proud. This is a pretty sweet little card all around.

15. Grisly Salvage

This wasn't exactly the droid I was looking for, but it's still a nice card. If you have dead draw issues, this can surely eliminate those things.

I had it in Glissa for awhile, but got sick of seeing all my Instants pile up in the graveyard. So it's gone now, but it's got a good seat on the bench.

Looking past myself, this card is still a house. The return of Golgari cards was something I thought Wizards had an excellent grasp on in our second trip to Ravnica, and this is a good example.

14. Psychic Spiral

Psychic Spiral is a card I like, but it's still trying to find its place in my decks too.

This is one of those cards that blue spell decks crave, but only after they've drawn the game out a while. Much like Elixir of Immortality, it has been a card I just don't want to see until at least 30 cards or so in my deck.

I've been playing it and cutting it for a while now, mostly because I don't want to draw it in my opener, or at a point where it's a dead draw and it won't interact well with my plans.

I'm still hopeful though. There'll be a day when the shoe fits.

13. Rakdos Charm
This card is a really nice addition to the Rakdos family. It's one of the first unofficial "black" cards that can destroy artifacts, and one of the first "red" cards to exile a graveyard.

With just these mechanics alone, that's quite a punch. This is a card I've seen do some serious hurting to the graveyard decks which are unnecessarily common in my metagame, and having a little color pie skew on this didn't really compromise the integrity of the colors who normally couldn't have either.

Plus, the more Zoltan Boros art I can have in my life, the better.

12. Rescue from the Underworld
Speaking of graveyard hate. Meet Rakdos Charm's new nemesis.

It's disgusting how much value comes in this package. Black reanimate already has access to some of the games primo spells and creatures. Now, you get to have them again.

I really can't say enough good things about this card. The flavor theme is super sweet. It's an Instant-speed answer to protecting a potential Commander from getting tucked, and then it nets you another dude.

Between this and Tempt with Immortality, which both have completely splashable CMCs, Wizards is ushering in a new generation of Reanimate spells that seems too good to pass up. This is a Gravy Train everyone should probably be hopping on.


11. Reach of Branches

Reach of Branches is one of my favorite cards from a few years ago. It is a house in Mono-Green decks that play almost pure ramp and Landfall triggers.

The best part about this card was that Reach was sent to me as a free card along side some other things that I'd ordered. Still, I threw it in this Baru deck I was playing and went to work.

I was playing GG the first time I got to play it and hard-casted somewhere upwards of 13 Treefolk tokens.

I liked to play this in conjunction with Treefolk Harbinger, not only because it's badass, but also for the sheer fun-ness of synergy and Happy Treefolk Nonsense.

The Trees are home to some of my most guarded secret tech. This card is among several of my favorite cards to cast.

Once again, this is yet another early Christmas or late Arbor Day gift. Use wisely, friends.

10. Dead // Gone
Mixed results with Dead and Gone.

Let's start with Gone. This is clearly the card's better half, and probably the only reason it's made the list. Having a red card with blue abilities has been proven to be pretty good, and it has saved me in a few situations where Heartless Hidetsugu has blasted the pants off of each one of us at the table, and the damage is coming at me. Obviously a completely overcosted card, but worth it in color.

Dead is slightly less justifiable, but not as much as you might think. My defense? Gaddock Teeg is a 2/2. If you've never played against this smug little Kithkin, you might not realize how inherently valuable little removal spells are, even if they are Red.

9. White Sun's Zenith
Kittens inspired by Kittens. None of the Zenith cycles make any sense to me, but that doesn't mean we can't appreciate them.

There is not a single Zenith that I don't play, and I love them all for their own function in the deck.

Still, there's just something to be said about making a bunch of Kitty Katz at the end of your opponent's turn, or as chump blockers, and getting a free shuffle/chance to cast it again.

I can't believe this card is twenty-five cents. This is some of the cheapest fun I have in games, and it still hasn't gotten old for me yet.

8. Pit Fight

Imagine my double surprise when yet another RG card found its way on my list.

The real sad part about both of them is that I haven't been able to get them into a deck I want to play yet. I have a feeling that day might not be too far off though, if they keep making cheap things I really want to put on an Isochron Scepter.

I love this kinda stuff. Being able to create value out of other cards is what separates the men from the spellcasters.

Silly card, sure. Fun? Maybe. I'll let you know when I try it out. For now, we'll let the Myth spin it.

7. Naya Charm
This card has been wrecking face ever since it came out in Alara block, and I've been a huge fan of it for almost as long.

It's basically half of a non-blue Cryptic Command or a non-creature Eternal Witness. Either way you split it, that's still pretty okay. Both of those cards have a lot of serious power, especially when you consider that tapping creatures down almost always ensures a huge damage point swing because you play creatures.

There's not really much else to say about this one. Good card is good. If you've got a Naya deck and the charm isn't in there, I'd fail to see how this wouldn't make the cut.

6. Blustersquall
On sheer power alone, Blustersquall is probably outclassed by Naya Charm. Solid options are always better.

However, having a splashable card that does one of the things you'd want to do with Cryptic Command about 50% of time is still a huge bonus.

In Limited, this card was a beating. In Commander, it's almost as good as Aetherize.

I love it. It's the premier budget option from Return to Ravnica, so play all of the copies.

5. Realms Uncharted

Sometimes reading a card the second time is a lot better than the first time you read it.

That's how I feel about Realms. Grandpa and I have been playing this card for a few years now, and it's a total house.

Do you need fixing? Do you want your Strip Mine?

There's just too many different packages and combinations to be played with this card. You can have your opponents trying to figure it out for days.

I think that's the real reason Realms and Gifts and Fact or Fiction are so good. They create a sub-game that supposed to give whichever opponent you choose the option of trying to ruin your plans.

What no one realizes though, usually, is that whatever they get is usually good enough anyway.

Seriously- Take the Old Spice challenge on this card. If you don't like it, throw it away and get yourself a stick of deodorant. Either way, you can't lose.

4. Wing Shards

The fact that this card is less than 25 cents makes me all kinds of crazy.

Apparently people don't know a good card when they see it. Cause, BOOM! This is one. You are looking at it.

This owl shooting what appear to be feather bullets at you is basically one of the most secret beatdowns of the last half century. Do you like removal? Do you like getting more than one copy of a removal spell and not paying any more for it?

Apparently not. Because you're not playing it, and the secondary market is overflowing with a valuable playable removal spell.

So go get your head on straight and buy a playset. It's ridiculous that the price on Wing Shards is this low, when the rent is too damn high.

3. Sapphire Charm
The Jeopardy Category for this one is "Weird Targets for Isochron Scepter" today, and this is clearly no exception.

There really is no charm more relevant on a Scepter than Sapphire. This is another GG-inspired piece of tech, and I think it's pretty clear when the first ability is draw a card.

I actually prefer to use Sapphy Charm as a removal spell. Phasing is hilariously bad, and fun for people who understand the next silliest mechanic Magic has made next to Banding.

Again, 2 out of 3 abilities isn't bad. I'm definitely over ranking and overhyping this card, but still- I believe in it. So should you.

2. Crypt Incursion

We've talked this card up a lot here on TGZ, because it's just too good to be a Magic card.

I gained 27 life with it on Sunday. I've gained 40+ life with it on a couple of other occasions too. The longer the game goes, the better this card gets.

It is just too much value for one card. In black, where you can Ad Nauseam and Dark Confidant your way to death, this card is great at keeping you alive. And Crypt Incursion is really good at it.

1. Deglamer

Our number one card is Deglamer, which might be a little shocking.

But to tell you the truth, I'm shocked that this is still 10 cents.

Since the Gods came out, Return to Dust, the world's most obvious RFG Artifact/Enchantment spell, has gone up by about 50 cents.

Now I know that there are probably some other factors in the competitive environment I might not be aware of, but I think that's still crazy when you consider that Deglamer is basically twice the card that Return to Dust wants to be.

In every situation where a God will appear, this is the spell you want. Not Return to Dust. If someone is using RTD as their Commander, it's just plain overcosted. Especially if you have to cast it immediately on their turn.

Deglamer, no matter what time, no matter what situation, be it a main deck God, or a Commander God, will always be there for you. It is hands down the quickest answer to a God, and one of the many reasons why Green got better again. Like Didgeridoo, this old card has more to play with, and it is just too good to pass up.

Honestly, it's probably the next best Naturalize short of Krosan Grip too. Shuffling your opponent's Swords, Jitte, Greaves, and Batterskull are just as good, and it trumps the indestructible the Colossus Trio (Darksteel, Blightsteel, of Akros).

And once again- this card costs an actual dime. So buy one. or sixty.

That's all I got for today. Feel free to comment if you think I've missed something. There were a lot of good cards to talk about, so if you want, feel free to email me at UncleLanddrops@gmail.com if you want to see the ones that didn't make it.

Until next time, take the power back.

-UL

No comments:

Post a Comment