Tuesday, October 15, 2013

First Impressions of Commander 2013

Happy Tuesday Zoners!

This week, we're going to get the scoop on all 51 new cards in the Commander 2013 product that's slated to come out November 1st.

Last week, we got our first look at one of the potentially two (mum's the word on whether or not the Invasion Dragons will be included, as predicted) new cycles of Commanders, and so I figured it was time we talked about them.

JELEVA, NEPHALIA'S SCOURGE

Though revealed at Comic-Con, I was hoping that the extra time in between spoilings might help me get a little bit better perspective- but it hasn't.

The best thing about Jeleva is her CMC. Before her, Grixis had Mishra, but it's a tough deck to get online, or really, even want to play.

R&D has done a pretty nice job creating differentiation among its Legendary Creatures, and this is a good example. Jeleva is definitely a great opposite to her Grixis pals, being a little smaller and more spell-focused. I also like the way that they're playing with Commander as a format, scaling the power of her enter the battlefield trigger.

That said, it isn't all rosy for me here. My biggest beef is simply me being picky, but the flavor actually doesn't work. The question isn't whether or not this color identity should have these abilities. The problem is that they've crossed several wires in creating this card, creating a domino effect instead of looking at this card and saying, "Something's gotta give."

The three points of contention that I have are Name, her ETB trigger, and creature type; the last of which, is the most troubling. Being a Vampire means she has to "drink minds," apparently, and I'm honestly cool with that. By that, I mean, I don't hate it. Vampires "drinking minds" is a thing that makes sense.

If these things are true, I don't get how she could be "Scourging" it up in Innistrad. From my understanding, there were no mind drinking Vampires made throughout the duration of our favorite Gothic Horror themed block, which really feels inconsistent. It makes more sense for her to be slumming it up with Mirko Polo on Ravnica, even with the triple color identity problem. I don't know. I've spent too much time trying to figure this one out. Maybe someone can help me sort out the flavor math here.

My other big worry with Jeleva is that she enables the "lazy deckbuilder," and that bothers me a little bit. I don't see a challenge to building this deck. Everyone and their mother will be trying to take as many turns as possible, and it could be possible here. Overall, I'm more confused than enthused here.

PROSSH, SKYRAIDER OF KHER

Let me start by saying I'm glad they brought back Kobold tokens, even if I think it's really weird that a Dragon who leaves fire in its wake would have friends. I know I'm being critical, but really, I'm just someone who "Kher's."

Speaking of caring, in case you do, look at your copy of Karador. Now look at Prossh. Familiar art? Absolutely. This is yet another nice little Todd Lockwood piece, in case you can't tell by the color palette, and the way his creatures have this angular, "I'ma pounce on you!" perspective.

Anyway, I'm okay with a lot of things here. Dragons are cool. Jund coloring is alright, even despite the fact that I like to see a little more scaly, sinister-ness with these guys.

Not much really to say. I don't think this is necessarily a bad creature, but the art is deceiving. It's not actually jumping at me.

MARATH, WILL OF THE WILD

Well, folks, we've got a real Hylian Loach on the line. Your patience is sort of rewarded a little here.

Marath provides the Naya Dude Squad with a much needed aggressive threat. Every time he's cast, he'll at least be everything you paid for.

I was looking at Ghave on Amazon, and at the bottom, it said, "Those who bought Ghave also bought this." I couldn't agree more.

If you didn't have enough fun with Ghave the first time around, here's your second chance.

Just do me a favor- this is not Marath. It was correctly pointed out to me at the shop last week that he only goes by one name- and that name is, "Dad of Resurgence."

OLORO, AGELESS ASCETIC

Timelessness is the idea of making something so good that it literally will never be unrelatable.

Agelessness, on the other hand, is beginning to have an expiration date. I'm not someone who wants to handle the nonsense that is Medomai the Ageless in all his terrible game-ruining glory, and I think that most Commander players might agree, if they too weren't inherent contrarians.

I'm not really up on this card, if you get my drift. I actually don't totally hate it though. I think the text box is its best quality. There is some serious life to be gained here, and the idea of having an extra card feels like good value.

What I don't like is everything else. Mostly, it's the art. Time has actually run out on apathetic creatures chillin' gangsta style in makeshift thrones (Yeah, I'm looking at you Teysa). I'd honestly much prefer they just go to Sears, like the original Solemn Simulacrum, spend whatever it costs for a simple 8x10, and go from there. Oloro just looks like he's camping out on a run-down putt-putt course with no plans for the future. Get it together dude. You've got a lot of life ahead of you. Literally. I'm as disappointed in you as you are in whatever it is you have to be super-emo about. I'd love to be a Giant Soldier. Must get all the Giant Ladies.

This card will probably require a Xanax prescription. Just be prepared.

DEREVI, EMPYRIAL TACTICIAN

Last weekend, the world's coolest living badass genius street artist Banksy paid someone to sit out on a sidewalk in the streets of New York and sell his spray paint art work for $60 a pop.

Click for Video.

My point? Why then, are we stuck with Beast Wars art from 1996?

I'm very sure that this Empyrial Tactician is much cooler in person. I'd also venture to say he's full on Maximal, but looks can be deceiving.

As a card, again- I like the rules box. This is by far my favorite rules box of the ones we're reviewing today. It has some elements of great design and provides decent power for a deck that already exists- Blinky Bant.

The best part of this card is ability three. Navigating around the Flash mechanic and rewarding a player for building around this as a Commander feels like a perfect fit. A recurring four-cost chump blocker with an ETB tap ability actually stretches is value on the defense, and I like what can be done here.

I can't wait to see what people come up with for Derevi.

Please share your thoughts on these guys too in the comments below. I'm always anxious to know what the community thinks.

Until next time, remember to mind your surroundings.

Funny. You Never Learned to Mind Your Surroundings.
-UL

No comments:

Post a Comment