Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Commander 2013 Impressions, Round 2

Heya Zoners!

We're back with another round of impressions. I know it's been a few days since the set got spoiled. Hopefully, that gave you time to form some opinions. So let's compare notes.

SHATTERGANG BROTHERS

This time we'll start with the last one out.

I really like the Shattergang Brothers. I'm a huge fan of removal, sac outlets, and creating value engines.

This is pretty neat fit for Jund. A while back, I attempted to make a Kresh deck based around the idea of non-blue control. I liked the idea of making something that wasn't a typical Kresh design, featuring the all-you-can-Evoke buffet and other typical GoodStuffs.

Clearly, the Shattergang Brothers are a much better fit, not only in terms of creating Jund non-green control, but also a "stronger" Goblin combo deck.

Again, I'm not really sure thematically where this card is supposed to sit in the Multiverse, but I think when we look at other Jund Legends, it's different enough that the deck has an identity, yet similar enough to provide homes for other legends like Sek'Kuar, Savra, both versions of Wort, and a handful of other legendary creatures as support.

NEKUSAR, THE MINDRAZER

I have a lot of problems with Nekkie. Let's start with the art. The first thing I thought of was not a Wizard, but the king of the Dead Army that Aragorn persuades to fight. Even the background isn't something that I would consider to be the chamber of a Wizard. I'm not saying he needs to fit stereotypes, and that it's not decent art- I'm just saying this shoe is fitting a little small for me.

In examining the card from the "waist down," things get a little more confusing. I've had a few experiences with Group Slug, and I have to say, this is doing no favors for a player. Grandpa Growth has mentioned a couple of times that creating strategy around the idea of "not winning" is not effective, and I agree. Giving people cards has never done me any favors, and so I'm not too enthusiastic about this one.

On a positive note, he is drastically different from his Grixis pals. He's got a midrange mana cost, and does some punishing, but I'm just not terrified, like I am of Thrax or Garza. I'll take the pain if I get to draw cards. I ain't never skeered about that.

SYDRI, GALVANIC GENIUS

With Sydri comes "renewed" design space, and I like that. Truth be told, there's quite a bit to like.

Sydri's first ability is already a thing, but her coloring makes this a lot better. There's plenty of access to animating artifacts, comboing, and tutelage now. Before, there was a lot of goofy Karn decks on the struggle bus. Now, there seems to be quite a bit of power available for those aiming to find it.

Also, we have yet again another Terese Nielsen art that I believe really showcases what she's best at- depicting characters among piles and piles of highly-detailed junk. I like it when she does stuff like this more than the abstract pieces like Enter the Infinite. Perhaps this is one of the best new Legendary arts in the Commander 2013 product.




GAHIJI, HONORED ONE

Speaking of art. I love what Brynn Metheney did here. It's crisp, it's got good technique- and we get a real nice "original" action pose showing off the ferocity that is Gahiji.

Unfortunately, the text box feels like a let down for me. The politicality that they've put into this release is polarizing for me. What I see here is a very non-theatening "Edric-style" bonus that really isn't going far. Unlike the Aura Curse cycle in the new product, I fear the worst for him as a Commander. With no real incentive to cast (outside of a Voltron build), casting Gahiji and protecting seems very uneconomical.

I like my Commanders to have under-the-radar value, but I think this flies too far under, despite the fact that Gahiji is probably sports 1 of 2 pieces of artwork that actually looks like a Commander. It's surely a neat card, and I'm interested to see how it plays. Still feels like it's going to be too "Huggy" for me.


ROON OF THE HIDDEN REALM

Our last new friend is... laughable.

Don't get me wrong- We needed more Flicker creatures. But not like this.

Roon of the Hidden Realm is great, I guess, if the Hidden Realm in Magic is Candyland, A Lisa Frank Coloring Book, or Barney's Asshole.

Pastel castles and indeterminate happy landscapes are not what I play this game for, and they definitely make this Rhino Soldier look out of place. He might as well be wearing a dress. I know, this is a game for people that aren't just me, but I think it's hard to take this card serious, even after you see the gross overcompensation that was done in his text box.

Silly name and a silly art can really influence how much I don't want to play a card, and this is the best example. This is the kind of card that makes me feel embarrassed to play Magic because I'm an adult that loves card games, and not a little girl with pigtails licking a lollipop at the County Fair.
All that said- Blinking in conjunction with Vigilance is huge. I don't think this will be good, but it'll be a deck people will play. There are some nice little synergies I can see, and it surely is different than the big Bant Commanders that see play.

Anyway, that's all I got.

I'd love to hear what people are thinking about the new Commander stuff. So leave something for me in the comments below, will ya?

Until next time, leave me a comment somewhere. You know how to find me.
-UL

1 comment: