Thursday, March 14, 2013

UL's Spin It Into Myth

Whaddup Zoners!

I apologize for the weekend. And Tuesday. I'm shaking off a cold and Grandpa Growth is still Interwebz-less as far as I know, and I'm thinking I'ma have to suspend Sundays until then unless he gets back online soon.

Anyway, I'm excited today to roll out one of a few new segments I'll be writing about here on TGZ.

So Spin It Into Myth- What does it mean?

In my head, it means two different things.

At face value, we Magickers know Spin Into Myth as a Commander homewrecker, taking our ideas of fun with made-up exile zones and making them fade from memory.

On the other hand, myths can also tell the stories of legends.

The idea of Spin It Into Myth is both, and the best part is, you get to write the story on these cards.

Unlike my Card Corner, or GG's Super Secret Sunday's, Spin It Into Myth will be a weekly or bi-weekly feature about cards that haven't been bagged and tagged by me or the rest of the Commander Blog-O-Sphere, so far's I know.

That's right. We're serving up Hawt Tech that's so white-hot we don't even know if it's good, or how good it could be.

In this way, Spin It Into Myth is as much a challenge for us as it will be for you to find and create a situation where these cards become decent additions or even the stuff of Legend.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be trying to get some games in with some of these unmade cards, and at some point I'll publish my results.

My hope is that you Zoners will be on the lookout with me, and hopefully exchanging mythic or not-so mythic tales of your journeys with these cards as we try to find optimal homes.

And so, without any further delay, I give you another Liam Neeson meme to help us cut the ribbon.

In the future, I probably won't do an Artifact, Land, and one of each color. But right now I have one of each, and I haven't posted in a while, so here...we...go.

Mindstorm Crown is probably a pretty awful card for most of my decks because the last time I was sitting around with no cards in hand it was because a Sadistic Hypnotist took them from me, and then I topdecked a Wheel of Fortune. So that was that.

Before that, I have no recollection of a deck where I wanted to have no cards in hand, or a situation in which that actually happened.

That said, I am trying it out in a Darien, King of Kjeldor deck which is bound to find a post or two in the near future because of the rather eclectic collection of things I've thrown into its design. I doubt I'll get to draw cards, but I'm hoping the extra soldier token makes all the difference. Down payments seem to be pretty useful.



Both Grandpa Growth and I were very high on this card when the spoilers came out, and though its price has gone down dramatically, I don't expect it to be there forever.

I'm still up on this card, and I've grabbed up a few more copies on the cheap to throw into my mono-colored decks, including the Darien deck.

This card would be pretty optimal, I think, in any deck with powerful non-legendary lands (and Flagstones). Obviously Expedition Map comes attached at its hip, but it's probably gonna be in every deck with the Stage anyway.

You can also target opponent's lands, which seems good.



I would like this card a lot more if I could use it at instant speed, but I'll take what I can get.

This card seems pretty fair in mono-B when you consider that whatever you sacrifice can be brought back from the dead, and control of the creature is a lot more permanent than Enslave.

Ritual of the Machine would probably be even better with the Savra Attrition style decks. I don't think I'm really breaking this card in this particular build, but I have a feeling this could be better somewhere else.





For those who like to watch the world burn, or your opponent get shocked when you take his Lightning Greaves, Magnetic Theft is the card for you.

I'm honestly excited about this card. I'm not sure what it's gonna do, cause this card is only as chaotic as what you and your opponents bring to the table. Maybe you get a Swords of X and Y. Maybe someone tries to abuse Argentum Armor.

I still think getting a Greaves off a pesky Commander is good enough to warrant a spot in the deck. Tempo is half the game, and people lose their minds when they lose the comfort that comes with shroud and haste.

I'm always playing 40 lands, usually more.

So I figured I'd try out the scout. I'm a huge fan of Sakura-Tribe Elder, and I'm always looking to power out lands.

I tried Gaea's Touch, but wasn't much of a fan, cause of the Forest limitations.

Anyway, Fiona, as I call her, would be well to do in decks with big lands and big dudes. She'd probably also love to have Ranger of Eos as a nice dance partner.

Mayael and Chorus of the Conclave would probably be lucky to have her.


Reality Acid is some goofy CommanderCast tech I've been itching to try out. I'm rocking it currently in my Chisei deck because it's fairly optimal in a place where I can manipulate counters.

I'd love to see someone who had some more strategies for this card. Maybe Hexmage would help?
Last card I have here is Cathars' Crusade, which if you've probably guessed, has a home in Darien.

My old Chorus of the Conclave deck probably could've done well with one of these too.

This is definitely something that Rhys the Redeemed and other similar token-abusive decks would probably be looking for. Hence the reason it's hanging out with the King of Kjeldor.








Well, those are my cards. Feel free to comment below or @UncleLanddrops on Twitter about your legendary experiences. Also, it'd be cool if you started following me there too.

I'll try to be linking to articles and chit chatting every once in a while in that universe, though it is new and rather foreign to me. So if you've got stuff to ask me, or things you want me to talk about, I'm using social media.

Turn's to you.

-UL.













No comments:

Post a Comment