Tuesday, March 5, 2013

UL's Buy or Sell: Sorin Vs. Tibalt

Hey Zoners-

Sorry about the technical problems that plagued us last weekend. 

Anyway, we're back here talking about one of the over-the-weekend and upcoming product spoils- Duel Decks: Sorin Vs. Tibalt.

If you're like me and you don't have that Mad Money flowing, then you're probably on-the-fence about buying into the new set, and I don't blame you. Memories of how horrible Koth Vs. Venser was are still looming, despite all the neat things that came out of Izzet Vs. Golgari.

Since everyone and their mother plays Standard, obviously the big ticket items are going to be Sorin 2.0 and one of the best red creatures I've ever seen, Hellrider.

Clearly these are solid cards, and definitely ones I can see people playing in EDH. I'm rocking Hellrider in my Hidetsugu deck, where he's one Kiki-Jiki away from being a beating most of the time.

Let's skip ahead though, cause they aren't the only cards that are gonna get you value here.

There's other hot tech to be had, and though they might not be worth as much, here are some cards that are definitely EDH worthy in my book.

Death Grasp is still worth a buck or two depending on if you go local or buy from an online seller.

I like this card because I'm a sucker for random BW spells, in particular multicolored Exsanguinate/Corrupt style spells that don't require black mana.

This card will fit well in my Doran the Explorer deck, where I do end up with a bunch of mana and not a whole lot of life near the end of the game. Especially in Multiplayer.








Though it's from the wrong side of the value track, Grandpa Growth and I have talked at length about how we'd love to see less 1:1 ratio black card draw spells like Sign in Blood or Night's Whisper.

According to ChannelFireball, who's usually on the low-side in terms of prices, this little baby is an $8-10 card printed only previously in Starter 1999 and Portal:Second Age.

I'm always down for a more costly Harmonize in my black decks, so this might be good. I'm not sure how good, but I'm considering playing this in Doran if I buy Duel Decks.
And for you Reanimatin' dudes out here, here's a dude that helps you reanimate.

I'm not sure mechanically what this guy is doing hanging out with Tibalt, but he's definitely well-to-do in any deck that likes creatures in your graveyard.

I guess you're supposed to go get Hellspark Elementals to Unearth and throw at the Sorin deck. I don't know.

Also, I like the art on this card. It's got a very weird texture to it that I would find normally unappealing. Here it works for me though.




Browbeat's a card I've become increasingly fond of because of Hidetsugu. And as Grandpa Growth mentioned in the Comments of that article, this card has a very competitive level of power vs. CMC. Take 5 damage or let me draw three is the kinda red cards Wizards should be more concerned with printing.

Now, I've been able to find a home for it in the Hidetsugu deck I talk about all the time. Not sure it's EDH worthy, but the other versions are worth a couple bucks, and you get two of them.

So if you're not on team Group Slug yet, then you don't have to be. Give 'em to someone who's ready to punch you in the face with this card. Or hopefully someone else. And I am talking in the Magic spell-casting sense. Not in the real.

Truth be told, I hadn't seen this card until the list was spoiled, and I kinda like it.

The art's cool. The concept is neat.

Not sure if I can cram this into Hidetsugu, or if I would want to. At sorcery speed, this card really doesn't help me win.

Cause one of the biggest problems with the deck is that opponents will let me Shiva-Blast then out play my creatures and removal to hit me before they get hit.

Which, I have to admit, is pretty smart. And it would be a lot smarter for me to have access to Breaking Point at Instant speed.

Still this card is worth a couple bucks. So if you can't find a way to make it work, pawn it off to some chump who can.

Another great Group Slug card is here- Sulfuric Vortex.

This little Scourge beauty is the four-dollar monster I should've thrown in Hidetsugu a while ago.

I have a lot of problem with life gain when I go to play at the shop. Mostly it's Trostani and Vish Kal, which shouldn't be really a problem cause there's all kinds of Wraths that happen.

Unless of course, you're playing red, and you literally have 3-4 overcosted removal spells.

Again, this card is also worth some coin, and definitely going to be an asset in making games shorter, if that's your thing.





Last, we have a card that GG's real fond of, and I guess I can see why.

Though I've never seen it in action, Zelly P seems like a great way to hose annoying Rhys the Redeemed players or anyone who thinks that they're safe in combat after they've assigned blockers.

Obviously people will think twice about blocking you the next time they play it, but I guess it's worth it.

Card's worth a couple bucks too.





Together, I estimated that the sum of these cards alone is over the $19.99 MSRP rating.

Therefore, getting Sorin 2.0 and Hellrider, plus this stuff, is about $50+ worth of good trade material and useful stuff for Group Slug or a halfway decent Orzhov deck.

So if you don't want to listen to me, take it from a guy who really does have that Mad Money.






Anyway that's all I got for today. Now I'm sure you've been wondering just how lame and ridiculous I could possibly get for a sign-off? Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, I found the roof.
And that roof is not too damn high.




-UL

No comments:

Post a Comment