Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Stack #54- Comic Relief

Happy Weekend Zoners!

Often we find that the best "tell" for having fun is laughter. So we're bringing you what we believe are some of the funniest plays/cards that aren't part of an Un-set.

So get ready to kind of laugh. THIS IS THE STACK!

VENSER'S JOURNALIST'S PICK


Venser's Journalist- THUMBS UP
In terms of pure goofy, I find it hard to top this card. It's unexpected, so like many good jokes, timing is key when playing this card. You don't want to use this on a creature that has been Voltron-ed to no end, lest you be killed by the most badass frog in the history of MTG.

Flavor text is also part of what makes this card so funny. Brevity is the soul of wit. Nobody really likes pouring through mounds of flavor text on a card - unless it's the Ralph Waldo Emerson quote on Phantom Warrior. I appreciate Emerson's philosophies.

Though not the most effective Instant, Frogger here has originality and the kind of quirky personality that makes a card memorable for more than just its worth as an excellent spell.

Uncle Landdrops-  THUMBS UP
Although I'm much more apt to use Snakeform or Lignify, turning real creatures into other things is fun.

One of the best tricks I've seen with TtF is casting this on a Szadek with a bunch of counters before damage was dealt. Although it doesn't thwart expectations innately, you should see the surprise on someone's face when they die to a Szadek because of General Damage.

Grandpa Growth- THUMBS DOWN
Call me curmudgeonly, but I couldn't disagree more. Humor is about subverting expectations. This is giving me EXACTLY what I expected and I am not pleased. Sometimes the obvious can be funny, but it is usually when something obvious has been overlooked or undersold and doing this too much leads to the subject matter becoming cliche and therefore no longer funny.

This is hardly original. There are half a dozen cards, or more, that have an effect nearly identical to this one. Turning Creatures into cats, goats, snakes, random subtypes, etc - it is played out.  R&D includes effects like this to spice up Blue Instants without printing overpowered countermagic. A noble goal, but they keep trying to hit the same note over and over again. Some players, who only ever see one or two of them, are seduced by the novelty and "quirk", but in reality this is a cookie cutter design. Pick out a new obscure Creature type and you're good to go.

Here is a real head game for you: the feeling of being 'small', i.e. overwhelmed and powerless, is uniquely human as far as we know. Why not make a card that turns things into humans? We have psychological struggles against ourselves that hamstring us all the time. Stress, expectations loss, inadequacy, jealousy, mortality. I guess it isn't as much fun when it 'gets real'.

GRANDPA GROWTH'S PICK

Grandpa Growth- THUMBS UP
I am not going to make any attempt to justify this pick. Rather I will cue the video and let the chaos speak for itself. If you have ever wondered about that funny wording on Detention Sphere...well now you know why. Action begins at 1:55...and then grinds to a halt at about 2:00.



Venser's Journalist- THUMBS UP
Though not what I would call funny, O-Rings can cause some zany things to happen on the battlefield (like the video demonstrates). The endless O-Ring cycle is not a winning strategy, but more for those games where you just don't feel like letting anyone win.

Uncle Landdrops- THUMBS UP
Not an innately funny card, but definitely a funny situation. And like googling "Google," O-Ring-ing O-Rings will in fact, break the internet.

UNCLE LANDDROPS' PICK 

Uncle Landdrops-  THUMBS UP
Benefactor is a card that you'll probably see people play in Kingmaker/Group Hug decks. Now, I'll never get this archetype, so you'll never see me play it.

Still, I have to admit Noble Benefactor creates a very interesting subgame in my playgroup. This is a result of putting a lot of miles in against each other, and knowing what kinds of cards we tend to go get from our Rich Uncle.

The reason I find this card funny is that one of us almost always goes for Teferi's Puzzle Box, which is both cruel and against everything this card is supposed to do to the game. I find this strategy to be particularly hilarious, but I'm going to relish the day that someone goes to search up their Noble Benefactor, sac it, tutor up some Reanimation, rinse, and repeat, until we're all out of cards. I feel like this could be done. I think I'll hire a Johnny Think Tank to figure this one out.

Grandpa Growth- THUMBS UP
I have put some very limited play on this card. It is an interesting destabilizing element that can help excite new gameplay, but it is unlikely you will be able to actually leverage this to any significant advantage in a multiplayer setting. In 1-v-1, this is already heavily played. A sub-staple, if you will. I am not sure what this has to offer in terms of comedy value though. I haven't had any memorable/humorous stories arise because of it.

Because we're sure there's bound to be funnier things out there on the web, share them with us. We like funny stuff too.

-GG/VJ/UL

No comments:

Post a Comment