Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Deck Files: The Adventures of Dromar #2

Happy Late Post Tuesday, Zoners!

I don't have a whole lot of new, complete thoughts or decks to share with you, especially with our Journey into Nyx on its way, so we've returned to Deck Files with a quick, succinct update of Dromar and a summary of the change log.

I've been smashing Dromar and his old-bordered cronies against of variety of competition. From experience, I've found it best to bash the deck with no real intentions when a design seems to lack rules text themes.

Unfortunately, Dromar hasn't had a chance to really find out what he's made of in the Invasion Dragon Battle metagame, but bashing against a bunch of different kinds of decks has allowed me the chance to make some modifications. So let's look at the change log.

LANDS

Subtractions:

-Forbidding Watchtower, Faerie Conclave, Spawning Pool, Salt Marsh, Coastal Tower

Additions: 
+ Plains, Island, Swamp, Strip Mine, Dust Bowl 

Notes:
The Cycle Lands proved to be much better than the Man-Land cycle, and having both was too much land coming into play tapped. The deck really wants to play spells quicker, so I've gone back to doing what I do best- playing Basics. Strip Mine and Dust Bowl were added more for the purposes of hating on decks outside of our Dragon Battle, but can still be used for tempo. 

SPELLS

Subtractions: 
-Liberate, Forced March, Planar Overlay, Catastrophe, Wing Shards, Blatant Thievery, Dream Cache, Dust to Dust, Cabal Conditioning

Additions:
+Oblation, Plague Wind, Akroma's Vengeance, Swords to Plowshares, Frantic Search, Desertion, Spite // Malice, Reviving Vapors, Snap, Skeletal Scrying, Bribery

Notes:
There are a lot more subtractions than additions here. I found I wanted to have better quality than quantity for removal, so that's what happened. Forced march was better for tokens, but why bother when I can just Plague Wind. Akroma's Vengeance is also a good cycle spell, and potentially an avenue for theme here. I'm currently fiddling around with an Aurelia deck trying to use Cycling as a theme, but it might go better in a triple colored deck with better cycle spells. That, plus Desertion and Bribery were much better suited to the mana base. And now I feel like GG.

NONCREATURE, NONLAND PERMANENTS

Subtractions: 
-Treachery

Additions:
+Helm of Possession

Notes:
This might be short-lived, but I made this swap less to accommodate Dromar and more for another deck which really wanted Treachery. 

CREATURES

Subtractions:
-Preacher, Cloud of Faeries, Cavern Harpy, Alabaster Dragon, Great Whale, Faceless Butcher, Hunting Drake

Additions:
+Willbender, Silent Specter, Ebon Dragon, Merieke Ri Berit, Quicksilver Dragon, Mischievous Quanar, Chromeshell Crab

Notes:
The creature base is what is going to need the most work, as playing old bordered cards almost ensures that they will be underpowered. Still, it doesn't hurt to have a little disruption. Merieke was just a complete improvement from Preacher, and let to a pretty nice victory over Karametra by taking a Panglacial Wurm. My morph package hasn't done a lot of work yet, but I'm thinking it's going to be pretty okay. Dromar sees a lot of hate when he hits the table, so if I can play crappy mystery creatures with half-decent abilities to distract my opponents, I'm just going to do it. Of these, I love Mischievous Quanar. 

Well, that's all I have for today. Be sure to keep up with the spoilers for our new set, as we'll be talking about them at length in the next couple of weeks or so.

Also, be sure to check out another deck straight out of my local playgroup that was featured on CMDR Decks- Tyler's Niv-Mizzet the Firemind.

Link is here.  Tyler's Niv-Mizzet the Firemind.

If you guys have decks you want to talk about and share with the Internet, CMDR Decks is the place to do it, so email Uriah at cmdrdecks@gmail.com for all the details on that. This is something I'm going to be doing on the regular, so be sure to subscribe to the channel if you want to see what me and some of the other TGZ staff members are brewing up.

Last bit of news- We have a new challenger approaching us, so stay tuned for his first article which will hopefully be coming to you soon.
Passsssss....
-UL


No comments:

Post a Comment