Sunday, December 14, 2014

In General: Reviewing 2014: Misses

Hello and welcome back to In General. We are halfway through December and here on the blog that means it is time for me to take a look back at how I did in 2014. Last week we took a look at the biggest hits; all my predictions that were correct. This week we are tallying up my misses. All the cards that I was wrong about from this year's set reviews. Let's take a look.


Launch the Fleet
My original assessment of this card was that it was good enough to replace the second tier token generators like Conqueror's Pledge. Well, that just wasn't true. Launch saw some very limited play at the Pro Tour, but Standard and Commander are not the same animal. There is no reasons to be playing a token maker that already requires you to have a bunch of Creatures in play.

I don't often make an unmitigated withdrawal of a previous statement, but this card just ain't 'it'. Leave it at home.



Daring ThiefOkay guys. I don't know what I was thinking. It just all sounds so good in theory. You get to smash. You get to steal stuff. I should have known that 2/3's for three are not likely to make it work in the cutthroat world of Highlander.

I see a shining glimmer of potential in this card, but I don't think there is any real way to break it. I just got a little over excited about this dashing rogue.







Prophetic FlamespeakerI started to smell the coffee when I scrubbed out of two separate drafts that began with Flamespeaker. I just don't know what it is. This seems like the kind of thing that Red really wants, right?

Well, something here isn't right. If it were a two drop, or if the P/T were reversed, maybe we would see more production out of this guy, but things really have not panned out well for this card. This is particularly disappointing for me because I am always trying to make Red work.




Extract from DarknessI have to be completely honest. I don't see anything wrong with this card. I can't think of even one single thing. There are plenty of Blue/Black reanimator decks, but in the six months since this card came out I have not cast it nor played against it even once. Why are people not playing this? I was sure that it was immediately going to make a splash in Commander. I guess I can't always be right, but this one kind of stings because I was really excited for this card. Maybe it just wasn't mean to be. That is a shame though; this sewer monster is just sooo cute!



Dig Through TimeI had this one pegged for the bargain bin. This is easily the biggest miss of the year for me. I made comparisons between this and Treasure Cruise in the Khans Review articles that were not very favorable, but it would appear that Dig has just as much to offer the discerning Blue mage as Cruise and then some.

In fact, the popularity of combo decks in various formats have propelled Dig to equal Treasure Cruise in playability.

It is interesting to me to see how the story develops as we draw closer and closer to the next banned and restricted list update for both Modern and Commander. Many writers, including myself, expect to see both Dig and Cruise banned in Modern. At any rate, I am taking my yearly dose of humble pie. Dig Through Time is pretty awesome, I was wrong. What else is new?

That is all for today my fellow Magic fans. Next week we will continue our yearly review with my picks for the best and worse posts from 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment